MacBook Pro 17" (1stGen) battery problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by infernohellion, Jan 15, 2009.

1. infernohellion macrumors 6502

infernohellion

Hi there.

I've got a problem with my current 17" MBP (1st Gen with Core Duo CPU) and now its battery is behaving really weird. (Even though I've ordered the unibody 17" MBP anyway I am still going to use this one). This happened to be before with the first battery that comes with the machine. But its serial number was in the range of the battery recall therefore it was not a problem. This time, I actually sent it to the local reseller here in Chiang Mai, Thailand. They did send it off to Apple but after a month and a half (due to the new stupid restrictions on battery shipment) they said my battery is not in the range of the recall models therefore they cannot do anything.

This made me a little upset. Because from my understanding, the battery is a consumable item and it has its lifetime. Therefore if the capacity reduces over time then it's fine. But the problem I have is not about the capacity at all, it's about the battery not being able to properly work!

The symptoms: first it started with the random shutdown. I was using the MBP normally and all the sudden when the battery was at 17% the computer just shut itself down. When I pressed at the button on the battery, nothing happened. No charge indicating lights at all. But after a while (15 mins), it worked again. So I started my machine up. After finish booting, the same happened. It shut itself down once again.

So I decided to wait and this time I charged the battery like I would normally do. I could charge it up to 100% no problem so I unplugged and used the machine until it reached 20% and then it shut down once again. So I sent it to Apple.

Now after a month and a half, got it back. Decided that I'm okay with it as long as I would use it only until it reached 25% of capacity. So I tried charging it up again, this time it would only charge to 73% and then the LED light at the charger would constantly flash orange, green, orange, green. Now basically I can only use the battery only when it's charge is between 25% and 73%.

Should this be eligible for an exchange then? Even if it's not in the "battery recall range". I have AppleCare until September of this year with the machine. The only other thing I am concerned is that my battery charge cycle is 435. What do you think? Or perhaps it really is a time for me to buy a new battery.

Thanks guys.

2. kolax macrumors G3

Have you calibrated your battery at all?

435 cycles isn't much at all! My previous generation MacBook Pro - I had for 13 months and had 700 cycles! On that, I could squeeze about an hour and 10 minutes out of it.

I'd try calibrating it (charge it up to 100% then use it until the MBP switches off. Then leave it like that for 5 hours).

Another thing to do is to reset the PRAM and SMC.

3. infernohellion thread starter macrumors 6502

infernohellion

Try both... the problem still exists. :(

I guess I have to buy another battery then :(

4. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Once you go over 300 cycles, no matter how old the battery is, Apple will be very unlikely to give free replacements.

5. infernohellion thread starter macrumors 6502

infernohellion

I see. Thanks anyway.

And why the fish is the Apple Online Store in Thailand not selling battery? Stupid battery restriction is that strict.