macbook pro 17" 2.4 HD video card dead?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbrennick, Sep 22, 2008.

1. jbrennick macrumors newbie

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the MBP grfx cards. I think mine just ate and lucky me I'm out of warranty. I have to take it to the apple store to get diagnosed but the machine starts up and I managed to boot it into Firewire mode to get my work off of it. The screen doesnt turn on. I tried connecting a secondary monitor to it and nadda. Which only makes me think its the GRFX card. Are those swappable? Can I get a new one? I read a thread someone said I could get one for 330 bucks flat rate because the logic board isnt dead. Is this true and has anyone had better luck at some apple stores in the L.A. area then others? I live near Santa Monica so I'm heading over there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

GPUs are not swappable. They require a logic board replacement. I remember the thread where someone said they got their "logic board" replaced for something under 400. That is nonsense, unless they gave the part to her for free and just charged labor. The logic board alone is already worth over 500. other things they could have done for ~300 is a Left I/O board, which controls the LCD's backlight (which can make the LCD look "off")

with labor and parts expect to pay above $800.