MacBook Pro 17" 2.4GHz - Cracked Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hannan88, Mar 26, 2013.

1. hannan88 macrumors newbie

Hey folks,

Bought this laptop second hand from a friend who barely used it a long time ago. After about a month of using it some dimwit managed to hit the screen and crack it rendering it useless. It has sat in a drawer ever since.

I've decided I might as well have a bash at trying to fix it myself, I just want to know what parts I need and roughly how much these parts will cost. Photos attached of the damage.

[​IMG]

You can see on the top left of the screen I see a bit of the desktop but the crack goes right across the screen...

2. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

What's that, an A1229?

You'll need a screen assembly from any pre-unibody 17" (you could do just the screen but it's a lot more work and probably about the same price), a Torx T6, a Philips 0 or 00 (forget which), and a bit of patience. The screen itself shouldn't be more than $100-150, check Ebay. There are guides on how to get the machine apart, it has about 35 screws holding it all together.

3. mackid1993 macrumors member

Go to ifixit.com and look up your model. They sell the parts and tools and also have installation guides.

4. prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

I used this site a couple of years ago to repair a Dell for a friend:

http://www.laptopscreen.com

Watch the video's on their site, take your time and take digital pictures of every step during the disassembly.