MacBook Pro 17" - 2.5 GHz or 2.6 GHz

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by benjs, Oct 15, 2008.

1. benjs macrumors regular

Would anyone be able to help me decide between a 2.5GHz processor and 2.6GHz processor for the 17"? I will be using basic 3D modeling software (SolidEdge), and would very much like to be able to have VMWare open while watching an HD movie on the Mac half, or listening to my iTunes. Will a 2.6GHz make any substantial difference? $233 worth?
    Thanks

2. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

If you're dishing out that much for a laptop already, I don't think a couple hundred bucks will hurt that much. But I'm not sure that it's worth it...

3. isethx macrumors regular

i wouldn't buy the 17 at all. older graphics card, older processor. i think (hope) the 17 inch soon joins the rest of the redesign.

4. benjs thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, my point is to get this BEFORE the redesign. I have a feeling once they figure out how to make the new aluminum case on the 17", they will. I don't want that.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

2.5GHz. Paying $250 more for the 2.6GHz isn't worth it. Before you criticize me for being a hypocrite, I paid for a 2.5GHz; I didn't pay for the upgrade to 2.6GHz.

6. isethx macrumors regular

well 2.5 then. $250 is not worth what would you gain in speed

7. benjs thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, that's what I was thinking, as well. And while I agree it'd be nice if they got their act together with the 17" and made the options 2.53 and 2.8 GHz like the new 15" models, or gave us a video card which has not been proven faulty, I have a feeling these updates will come with a case update - which, frankly, I'm not interested in. I'd like a matte screen, and I prefer the classy look of the old MBP to this new attempt at style. Also, one button is crippling enough, no matter what they say about how functional the trackpad being the button is.

8. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

If you actually checked out the new mbp before deciding that you hated it you would realize that the trackpad can be programmed just like the mighty mouse so its even more functional that the old one button and track pad design.

9. benjs thread starter macrumors regular

I did read up on it before deciding I "hated it". You're right, it's very customizable. However, I'm already comfortable with the one button trackpad. Plus, as I mentioned, I prefer the old case design. Also, I just waited three months for this. I'm tired of waiting for new things, when this product will be more than sufficient.

10. dougnewman macrumors 6502

100MHz should be barely noticeable.

I'd go with the 2.5GHz model.