MacBook Pro 17" 2011 wireless instability

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RamGuy, Jun 9, 2011.

1. RamGuy macrumors 6502a

RamGuy

I've had my MacBook Pro 17" 2011 model for over a month now and I keep getting random disconnections from my wireless network and it doesn't seem like the problem lies within my access point but rather the machine itself.

I'm running a D-Link DAP-2553 Business Access Point running on 5.0GHz @ 40Hz in N-mode only and it's located like 4-5meters away from my bedroom but still I get these random disconnections while surfing in bed. I didn't face this problem this often when using my old MacBook Pro 17" 2010 model on the very same router and none of the other Windows based notebooks never gets these disconnection problems.

Worse things is that when I first get disconnected I actually have to reboot my MacBook Pro in order to get back on. It's not like a restart of the AirPort utility does the trick which is rather annoying otherwise it wont be able to pickup my DAP-2553 at all, it's not getting listed and when manually connection to it I get connection errors. We also have a Netgear WNDR3700 upstairs which we run in access point mode, this one is running 2.4GHz @ 20/40Hz auto in G / N mode and when making connections to this unit I often lose the internet connection after 5-15min without the AirPort utility reporting any issues whatsoever.

Whats going on with the wireless on these 2011 MacBook Pros?

2. diannao macrumors regular

My 2011 17" has been fine with all the wireless networks I've tried (home, bus, work, various coffee shops, etc.). Take yours in for a checkup.

3. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

I bought new one this year and my WiFi was horrible.

So I simply called Apple, returned it and re-ordered a new one. This second one is just fine.

What's interesting is my brother saw how nice mine is (he was using a PC) and bought one for himself. He too got a bad one the first time around.

So he did the same thing (we both ordered BTO from Apple Online) and sure enough the second one he got was fine.

So, who knows, anything is possible. At least Apple is very good about taking care of it.