MacBook Pro 17" Anyone with a perfect computer?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lucagfc, Mar 18, 2011.

?

Your MBP 17" has problem?

1. My 17" is perfect

16 vote(s)
    76.2%
  2. My 17" has problems (specify please)

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. Lucagfc, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011

Lucagfc macrumors 6502

Hi

I' ve just ordered a new MBP 17" with standard config and only after I discovered that this machine have a lot of problems

1) Freeze when using a 3D game
    2) Random Freeze during normal use
    3) Data corruption when this freeze happen
    4) Temperature problem with really high temps when no high CPU load

Unfortunately I' m beginning to resign myself to receive a computer not usable (perhaps fixed by a software update)

There' s anyone who have a 17 fully functional?

Vote in the survey and specify the problem with a reply thanks!! Specify also the week of build!

2. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

3. simsaladimbamba

You do realise, that this is a message board for helping people with problems with Apple products and therefore the number of threads about having problems with this or that is much, much higher than the numbers of threads from people who don't have any problems?
    What if the machine you get is working?
    And if it is not, you can get it replaced, which adds a bit of frustration though, but you will get a working machine.
    I haven't had a problem with my 17" 2009 MBP since I bought it in July 2009, and I guess there have been a lot of threads from people having problems with it on this and many other message boards.
    The people without problems usually don't visit such nerd herds like MR.

4. Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

I' ve read 19 pages on the Apple Support forum and the replacement not helps. It seems that this is a firmware problem or video card driver but until now the problem is not resolved!

5. cmclaughlan macrumors member

Recently purchased 17 inch 2.3GHz i7 and have upgraded RAM to 8 gig.

I've been playing Mac versions of WoW, Half-Life 2 and Dragon Age 2 on my 30 inch monitor at work and my 24 inch at home. All without any problems.

I haven't had any freezes and bearing in mind I am running Outlook, Excel, Powerpoint, Word, Communicator, Minefield, XCode, iTerm, iTunes, Adium, and my own buggy, half developed, applications the fact I get no slow downs, hitches or data-loss is just shocking to me !

Currently this machine is powerful enough to be my desktop replacement. (I still have my PC under my desk with a RDC connection to it when I need it)

I love it to bits !

6. nwlight.com macrumors newbie

If you look at any board, you will find people with various problems. That's why people come here. I have no idea why you think your new computer will be non-functional out of the box.

I have a 17" and it works awesome. I have been surprised that the hard drive is completely silent compared to be my old 15". It does get warm when watching videos, but less so than my old computer. The only problem that I have is that the resolution is very high and it takes some getting used to.

7. Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

I know that the information found on forums are generally worst of reality: users that have problem come here and say that, users with a perfect machine don' t come here to write it.

That said, the 19 pages of users with problems on the Apple forum seemed to me something very serious!

I hope to receive a perfect machine obviously!

8. Barnzee macrumors regular

I've had my 17" for two years now and have not had any problems with it. However, windows in bootcamp froze on me once a long time ago, but that was it.

9. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

If it has serious issues, return it for a refund.

10. Reticent, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011

Reticent macrumors member

A different perspective

I have the 2.2 15" which has the exact same innards as your 17", just a smaller screen.

I have had only slight problems with civilization V, which I have since figured out (it's a matter of turning off the integrated GPU and telling the discreet GPU to work full time). However, I have not experienced any of the other situations that you are worried about. Get it, and the other posts are right. Return it if you're not happy. Apple will happily return it, they want to keep you happy and keep you as a happy potential customer. Go for it, don't be poisoned by negative reviews you've read and try it out. As long as you return it before the return date passes, no love lost. If you buy it and you do love it, then you've bought yourself a durned good mac!

Hope that helps. Cheers!

11. ozred macrumors 6502

I use both PC & Mac laptops. Each year I upgrade and so far I haven't had a perfect one yet, nor do I expect to. I look for excellence. Any small problems can usually overcome. The only time I return one is if it has a problem that adversely impacts my work, then I return it for another one.

While my personal preference is Mac, they do have one issue that you either have to learn to live with and patch it via third party software, or switch to a PC. That issue is how hot Macs run under load. It's because of the lack of air circulation due to it's thin dimensions and lack of proper cooling vents and a good thermal management system.

Apple simply places a higher value on looks than functionality. They claim otherwise and set very high temps as a "normal" operating range. Yet compared to a premier ThinkPad as one example, Apples run really hot.

12. jsilas macrumors regular

I've had my 17" MBP for several months now, and it's been flawless in every way.

13. Koning macrumors member

:eek: you play games at work?

14. akicebear macrumors newbie

Mine is perfect (knock on wood). Even if it isn't, that's what AppleCare is for...

15. Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

Please, 17" owner, post your experience and vote the poll. thanks

16. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Mine is perfect. I mean, I have no complaints at all or even non issues that could potentially be an complaint..

17. NorthMac1 macrumors newbie

Few Problems, Check installed software.

I had freezing problems but most were corrected. When I removed menumeters the laptop would run as expected. I have been running parallels and have had excellent results.
    Later