Macbook Pro 17 AppleCare Replacement option...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macman12, Aug 15, 2012.

  1. macman12 macrumors newbie

    Aug 15, 2012
    Hi guys,

    I apologize I'm new to the forums here, but have been an Apple fan for years on end. Been reading the forums, but never thought I had decent insight as to introvert to the highest degree.....

    Cliff notes version, I have my MBP 17 in for a 4th hardware repair under Applecare, and it seems as if Apple is going to be replacing it. Currently it is at the Apple store, and the manager told me they would replace it. Reading countless threads here it seems as if Apple replaces it with a "like for like" version.

    As you may all know, there is no 17 inch offering I sit and wait for their phone call, has anyone here had any experience on Apple's offering? would a maxed out rMBP be offered or just a basic 15....I hate to say it, but I will really miss the big screen....

    Thoughts, comments, insights?

  2. Macman45 macrumors G5


    Jul 29, 2011
    Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
    Don't worry, you will get a new or refurb 17" I have a maxed out MBP too, one of the last ones made..It too has AC, Apple keep enough stock to cope with required replacements. A 15" rMBP is NOT a like for like swap either...Like you say it's all about the real-estate...My 17" is a keeper.
  3. Lord Adama, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012

    Lord Adama macrumors member

    Nov 4, 2007
    I had a 17' Macbook Pro 2010. It suffered five repairs before they gave me a replacement. You will be offered a 15' 2.6 Macbook Pro. They will allow you to pay for the upgrade on the replacement Macbook Pro if you want to. I tried asking for the retina Macbook Pro but they said it was part of a different family and would be like asking for my Macbook Pro to be replaced with an iMac. You can try and ask, but I don't think the chances are very high unless you can give them a reason that you need the higher resolution (i.e. graphics work). I hope this helps.

    P.S. I find it ironic that this is the second replacement I have gotten from Apple, the previous 17' replaced my old 2007 15' Macbook Pro. All of them had video problems lol. Plus my local apple store kept damaging my computer or putting the wrong display on during the repair (matte instead of the glossy I ordered.)

    Edit: Depending on how long you have left on your Applecare they will give you a refund on the remainder of it. They should mention it to you, but if not ask about a Pro Rated Refund.
  4. macman12 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 15, 2012
    This is great news! I was so getting ready to take some keep-you-happy pills when I was dealt the blow of a 15 incher as my replacement when the phone call happens.

    Here comes the engineer, realist thinker in myself. Completely hypothetical scenario...The maxed out 17 is replaced for another one, new one, as I've read on here... The warranty starts over once it arrives as it is a completely new machine and not a refurb... (Apple kicks rear for doing this!) So a 2012 to 2013 MBP 17 is what I'll have...Am I able to purchase AppleCare again since it saved my hide this time? If I'm able to...then in theory, the machine would be covered until 2016.

    Given my scare on this replacement, if indeed the new one needs to be replaced....what then? I prey the new one does not have the issues the old one had...I'm hoping by then, an newer 17 will be offered, but since I'm not Tim Cook, I would never know...

    How about any insight if the 17 will be brought back in the near future?

    By the way...great handle...MacMan seemed to be so correct in describing myself.

    Thanks plenty on the forthcoming responses!
  5. Macman45 macrumors G5


    Jul 29, 2011
    Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
    :) I didn't notice the username coincidence at first. As far as a 17" new Apple laptop goes, well there have been rumblings about OLED displays but nothing definite....Generally most seem to think it's gone for good. I'm dreading the day I have to replace mine with what would have to be a Windows device..:eek: But Apple being Apple, they might just bring out something next year...Trouble with the 17" is that it's such a small market share, and they simply did the math....Keeping it going just didn't make sense from an economic point of view. Fingers crossed though...I have no wish to buy a WIndows machine if I can avoid it.
  6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603


    Oct 31, 2010
    Hamilton, Ontario
    There should be plenty of 17" refurbs in stock to give you as a replacement, not sure your warranty starts over I was always under the impression you still keep your original purchase date they just change the serial number on the account
  7. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

    Jun 1, 2012
    You are correct. You do not get a reset on your applecare.
  8. dittman macrumors member

    Oct 28, 2007
    When my MBP was replaced I was able to get new AppleCare on it (and I got a prorated refund on the old AC).

    I did pay to upgrade (15" to 17"), so that might be the reason, or Apple might have changed the policy since I had mine replaced (2006).
  9. Rajpdx macrumors regular

    Jun 16, 2012
    I thought I'd miss the big screen too but I really don't anymore - the Retina MBP is fantastic.

    I'd definitely recommend the switch.
  10. boredsadist macrumors newbie

    Aug 14, 2010
    My Mid-2010 17-inch MacBook Pro with 2.66GHz Intel Core i7, 4GB RAM, and 500GB HDD recently crapped out last week following several repairs. Long story short, I insisted upon a replacement machine and was authorized by the store manager for one this past Thursday. They explained their policy of having to try and get a Mid-2010 unit of the same model and it could take weeks.

    They ended up replacing mine with a brand new 2012 15-inch rMBP with 2.7GHz Quad-Core i7, 16GB RAM, and 512GB flash memory. (note my disappointment, lol :-D )

    It's certainly an adjustment from the battle tank that was our 17-inch unibody, but I'm living with it, but my replacement is much MUCH snappier. I will say, however, even after two years of solid use, the speakers on my 17-inch were still louder and better sounding.

    So, if you're getting a replacement, we can add the maxed out 15-inch rMPB to the list of possible replacement options.
  11. nokian93 macrumors newbie

    Aug 31, 2012
    after going from a 15 mbp to 17 mbp, i cant imagine going back down to a 15. Even after using my buddies 15 rmbp i still preferred my 17. I think i would fight hard for a 17 if mine ever failed.
  12. Doward macrumors 6502a

    Feb 21, 2013
    I certainly know I would! I can't stand a 15" screen.

    Mine's a late 2011 specced out:

    2.5Ghz Core i7
    8Gb Ram (need to upgrade this, waiting on word of 16GB modules)
    250GB SSD
    Anti-Glare Screen
    1 GB AMD HD6770

    And of course, AppleCare.

    Would I take a rMBP 15" specced out if my 17" dies? Sure. And I'd most likely sell it to track down another 17" system of my liking.
  13. boredsadist, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013

    boredsadist macrumors newbie

    Aug 14, 2010
    People don't understand it either. My wife looked at me crazy when I cringed about the loss of my two extra inches. She was like "It's TWO inches, wtf? Your new computer is amazing."

    AND my shiny maxed out retina display is wonderful, but I still yearn for my larger screen and louder speakers. I installed a 3rd party app, Boom, to increase the speaker volume. It's now almost as loud as my 17-inch, but nowhere near as deep and room filling.

    There was no fighting. I tried to ask about a refurbished late model-2011 17-inch. Even though you could buy it on the Apple website, it was a solid no-go. Since the replacement I got was brand new from the store's retail stock, I didn't put up too much of a fight. Had they tried to give me a refurbished smaller laptop, I probably would have gotten more cranky about it.

    @Doward I think your Late-2011 already unofficially takes 16GB RAM. See:

    The 2010 models were soft coded to not allow 16GB upgrades. I tried to put 16GB RAM in mine and it'd boot to Fedora 16 and run just fine, but not to Windows 7 Enterprise or OS X. Error codes from Fedora told me that it was the EFI was nagging about the 8GB DIMMS.

Share This Page