Macbook Pro 17" Battery Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eternlgladiator, Oct 15, 2010.

1. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I have the most recent aluminum macbook pro 17" and my battery has recently died. I'm heading to the store to pick up a new one tonight but I have a question. Is there a way to take apart me old battery and salvage the casing but get rid of the bad lithium cells. I basically want to have a cover I could use for the bottom of my computer that would enable me to take out my new battery from time to time and reduce the cycles on it. I want it to last longer than my first one did. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree though and this is a darwin award in the making. Any help or tips would be great. Thanks

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

3. eternlgladiator thread starter macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I really hope that was a sarcastic response. Of course it won't run without a battery but I also don't need to waste cycles on the battery while the laptop is on my desk PLUGGED IN all day. However I don't want it sitting around with the bottom open to dust, debris, etc.

4. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

you want to open up a battery and remove cells? isnt that how people die?

5. AppleCode macrumors regular

AppleCode

If your sure you want to, if you have a spare and its toast it cant hurt to try ;)

6. eternlgladiator thread starter macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I've seen what happens to a lithium cell if it gets punctured so I'm a little nervous. Any tips?

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Sounds like a good way to waste time.

I'm sort of confused.

If you have the recent most MBP, your battery should be under warranty and replaced under warranty, is it not?

If they replace it, you won't be seeing the old one.

Regardless, that's a whole lot of effort for nothing. Keeping it in won't accumulate cycles. A cycle is using a full battery down to under 50% and then charging it back up again (from the MRFaq) (or some variation therof)

And what the heck is an 17" Aluminum Macbook Pro. Every Macbook Pro is made out of aluminum!

8. c7aea macrumors regular

Why not just leave the old one in with the cells still there when you don't want to use the new one?

9. eternlgladiator thread starter macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

its the previous model, non unibody with the battery on the bottom.

I can't leave the old one in because the cells inside have expanded to signal their end of life.

10. c7aea macrumors regular

oh that makes more sense.
    Unfortunately, I just looked at mine and I dont see any good way to do that. I see the silver cover with the writing on it could possibly be pried off.
    If I was going to do it I would wear gloves and something to cover my face. I am not sure what can happen to the batteries but im sure it can be dangerous.

11. eternlgladiator thread starter macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Nevermind everybody. Tried and failed. By the time I had it apart there would have been nothing left to use as a cover that would have helped. Oh well. Thanks for input.