MacBook Pro 17" Brand new STUCK PIXEL

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WhiteDuallyIL, Mar 22, 2011.

1. WhiteDuallyIL macrumors newbie

HI guys just bought a fully loaded MacBook Pro 17" 2.3 GHZ Antiglare and 8GB of Ram. Anyway its only 4 days old and I have found a stuck pixel right in the internet URL bar of all places about 3 " from the left side on a red screen its black and on a white screen its green. So I go to Apple store to talk to them about since its brand new and I have the complete care. The guy says its acceptable for a screen to have 1-5 pixels bad or stuck and that if I get a replacement computer or they put a new screen in it i may have more bad pixels. I have chosen for a replacment screen for a reason il get to that. So first question are you kidding me that Apple's quality control would allow 3500 buck computers to leave with bad pixels?

And for my replacement screen i am opting for that solution becuase since I have a custom built machine here the policy. They send me a FEDex label to ship my current laptop back to them, when they receive word that my laptop has shipped they will proceed to build me my new one and then ship it to me. Is this normal?

I need this computer for work I cant be down a machine for 2 weeks. And for the record this is my first Mac I have been a die hard Dell guy. And I am not holding a gurge for the bad pixel I understnad things happen but was a bit surprised by Apple answer and the way they handled the situation.

Thxs sorry for the long post just some questions.

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

yeah it happens, although i must admit i've never seen a mac with a bad pixel

3. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

For BTO cases they always require that you send it back. Unfortunately that means waiting 7-10 days for a replacement.

Dont hold the dead pixel thing against Apple though, its always a risk with LCDs.

Oh and as for quality control, it will always be bad when mass produced products are concerned.

4. WhiteDuallyIL thread starter macrumors newbie

No NO grudge here just was surprised when they said 10-14 days for a new one and that up to 5 pixels acceptable, the guy was pissed when I said the Dell M90 in my backpack which is getting replaced by the MBP is 3.5 years old and never had a bad pixel. I understand bad pixels are part of life just shocked more at the guys response says my next screen could have up to 5 bad pixels theres where quality control came to my head. But they have ordered me a new screen and will gladly fix for me so for that I am glad.

5. scarboni21 macrumors regular

Was the pixel stuck or was it dead? If it was only stuck you could have used the massaging technique that people have posted here and it most likely would have gone away in an hour or so of using the program. You then wouldnt have been without your new machine for two weeks.

6. mdewberry macrumors regular

Dead pixels can happen. My 2010 17" MBPro had one towards the top of the screen. It was totally visible. I took it to the Genius at the Apple store, they saw the dead pixel and got me a new machine that day. We fired it up at the Apple Store and confirmed the new screen looks great.

Apple (in my experience) has been great in swapping out machines for things like that. Yes, agreed that pixels can be bad, however Apple usually does the right thing and will swap you out if there are even minor defects like that.

7. WhiteDuallyIL thread starter macrumors newbie

Been cooking on that program now for 3 hours no fix and Apple tried massaging it a bit no luck. And its STCUK not dead different color then it should be so its totally visable. And the Apple stores dont stock any machines with 8GB of ram let alone the other custom options.

8. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

that's strange... i had a bad pixel on a new 2.2GHz 2011 and they took it back no questions asked. i guess because it was a BTO?

the next one they gave me had a bad pixel too but i checked it in store before i left lol

9. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

Yeah, unfortunately some people are like that :/

For returns on BTO orders I tend to ring Apple directly, as its usually the quickest way and you're guarenteed a replacement if your not happy.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

About LCD display pixel anomalies for Apple products released in 2010 and later
    Quite normal.
    I doubt it would be quite that long.

11. gameface macrumors 6502

They replaced a blotchy screen on a macbook pro of mine with one that had a stuck pixel. When I mentioned I wanted the new screen replaced they basically told me to pound sand.