Macbook Pro 17 buzz sound during firefox scrolling

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cathy88, Mar 23, 2011.

1. cathy88 macrumors member

Just got my new Macbook Pro 17 today but having some problem with Firefox 4.0.

When I scroll through the web page with Firefox 4.0 I can hear a buzz sound or something coming from under the keyboard (definitely not from the power supply). This happens with and without connected to the power supply.

Is this a firefox software fault or a macbook pro hardware fault? I am asking this because Safari does not do this at all.

Also does anyone know how heavy a Macbook Pro 17" Anti Glare + SSD is feels quite lite doesnt feel like I am carrying 3kg like what the internet states. My father has a 15" Hp 3kg laptop and I can notice some how mine is lighter even when they suppose be same 3Kg.

Thanks in advance

2. sydenham macrumors regular

I definitely notice a sound when scrolling with my 2010 15. I only notice it if I have the headphones on, but it does it in Safari.

3. cathy88 thread starter macrumors member

Mine only happens in Firefox, Safari or iFile or PDF etc no sounds.
    Is there anyway to know what graphic card I am running on, when I had my 15" there was one which tells me either Im using the Nvidia or the Intel one but i cant seem to find one for ATI.

4. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

You can see which is active in the system settings, but unless you have switching turned off (in which case it is always the ATI card), Firefox will automatically activate the ATI card (due to the OpenGL structure). Get the gfxCardStatus app and it will tell you and allow better and more control of the card switching. Also it doesn't help that the CPU and GPU share the same cooling pipe and are in series to the fins (so the heat from one passes over the other, only adding to the heat needed to be removed by the cooling fans.

5. amt2002 macrumors member

Any chance you can weigh if you have digital scales? I'd LOVE to know the answer to this!

6. cathy88 thread starter macrumors member

Actually I was hoping someone who has this too could tell me. I dont have a digital scale but on this ****** old one its 2.5kg which cant be right.

This is what I think, I read here that 15" Anti Glare is 0.2kg lighter then 15" Glossy.

Lets say 17" Anti Glare is approx .25kg lighter then 17" Glossy and SSD is .05kg lighter then a 5400RPM drive that makes this set to be 2.7kg.

Rough estimate although it feels more like 2.6 to me ( not like i can measure iwth my hand though)

7. SlappyWhite macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro 15" (2011) here. Yes, I can hear this too and I don't even have to try that hard. It's clearly coming from left to the trackpad where the gfx card is located. At first I thought it must be something in the ATI card but then I noticed the sound persists even when I switch over to the integrated gfx card.

I can hear it in Firefox every now and then but I can consistently reproduce it by bringing up a Finder window on top of Firefox and then scrolling a web page in FF. Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STico7bHXl0

It happens in few other applications as well so it's definitely not an issue with Firefox. It's either the hardware or the firmware. Either way I'm not expecting it to change :(

Another buzz that annoys me is the one coming from under the keyboard when the backlight is turned on between off and max settings.

That's during the first two days of using this machine. I can only imagine what sounds I'll be hearing two months from now. Not a pleasant experience so far.

8. stefmesman macrumors 6502

its the design that makes it feel lighter, the 17 to me feels just as heavy as a 15'' because its distributed over a larger surface. ofcourse the AG will make things lighter too. the shallow height of a macbook pro makes it ''feel'' lighter too then a big windowz laptop even if measured they weigh the same.

OT: i have a 17'' 2011 and i hear it also in firefox, i do not hear it in safari or chrome.