Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mBurns

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2006
USA
Hi folks. I've been considering purchasing this machine from Apple refurb with the high-res display and matte. I love the older design and have a 15" Core Duo that I would hold on to as well. This machine will cost me anywhere in the neighborhood of $1500 - $1900 with AppleCare and then I'll want to upgrade the HD to probably SD. Am I stupid to not go with a UniBody? Are there any other obvious advantages other then the new design? Any thoughts? The major downfall I see is 2 versus 3 years of AppleCare. Will I really get that much more use out of a newer MacBook Pro realizing if I wanted the 17", I'd have to buy refurb...

EDIT: Also how is the 512 VRAM graphics card in the Classic Pro? I know in mine, my ATI 256 is underclocked.

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
The only downside I see is at re-sale time, when it will be considered by a potential buyer as one generation older and therefore worth less money.

mBurns

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2006
USA
Not too worried about resale. My only major concern is being way behind technology wise since I will definitely keep this machine 4 years. I am sure this baby purrs right now though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.