MacBook pro 17" core duo (a1151) boot issue help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dazcox5181, Jun 30, 2011.

1. dazcox5181 macrumors 6502

Our MacBook pro seems poorly,
    Was working this morning was going to upgrade the hard drive later so had been cloning the drive overnight using CCC.

Shut down this morning fine, went to boot back up as needed to use it but it won't work!

Just get a blank screen, no chime, power light comes on (solid) and I can hear the fan start, hard drive power on and spinning, DVD drive makes a repeated clicking sounds as if trying to take a disk in.

That's it. Doesn't get any further.

Have tried PRAM/SMC reset, even disconnected PRAM battery for 10 min but still noting.

If I hold down power the light flashes fast for a second or two, then I get 3 fast and 3 slow flashes, then steady but I think this is just the POST?

Have removed and swapped RAM modules but no change.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? I think it may be a logic board failure but the cost of that seems to mean it'd be easier to just buy a new mac...

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Why are you holding down the power button? The SOS beep/flashes mean bad firmware. Sometimes, it's bad RAM, but it's supposed to mean bad firmware. If you're holding down the power button when you turn it on, though, you're telling the machine to perform a firmware update, so you might just be confusing it by holding down the power button.

Regardless, it sounds like your logic board just bit the dust.

3. dazcox5181 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok thanks figured as much :(

Don't know if I could get it repaired, cost would probably be near a new MacBook anyway :(