Macbook Pro 17'' - difficulty to turn on

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kaiser-Man, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Kaiser-Man macrumors newbie

Hi there, I've been an apple product user since 2004, but was only in 2009 that I bought my first mac computer, a mid-2009 macbook pro 17 inch.
    2 years ago upgraded the memory from the original 4GB to 8GB using kingston memory, that never gave me a memory error or whatsoever.
    Last year was feeling that my mac was getting slow to boot and while doing some tasks, so decided to upgrade the hdd to a ssd, and replaced the disc drive with a caddy to use the 500GB hdd on it for storage.
    No problems, never with my mac even when using OSX or Windows via BOOTCAMP to play some games.
    But since last november it decided not to turn on even with the ac adapter connected and battery fully charged, so decided to open it up and troubleshoot it, expecting to find the source of the problem.
    Removed everything, removed the battery cable and pressed the start button to release any electricity in the circuit.
    After so much trial and error, decided to warm up the battery with care, and it STARTED.
    The problem is that sometimes warming up the battery solves it, others you have to be patient, so my guess is that the battery is the problem, but could other thing be causing the problem??
    Have anyone had a similar issue? If so what was the fix?
    I'm recurring to you, because it sometimes cumbersome and not practical to have my mac without the back screws to be easier to remove the back cover to start the computer every time.

Thanks in advance.

2. Kaiser-Man thread starter macrumors newbie

After some more tries, if you let it cool for 30min disconnect the battery and try to connect with only the ac adapter it doesn't start.
    After using, while hot, if you unplug the battery and start only with the AC adapter it starts just fine.
    The thing is that when cold, if you try to start it, it doesn't respond even with the ac adapter, but with 5min sitting on top of a radiator heater at medium temperature, it starts just fine with the battery and ac adapter.

What could this be?? Battery?? Logic Board?? Some kind of temperature sensor??

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Logic board most likely.

The computer's nearing 6 years old, time to find its replacement. (To me) It isn't worth repairing.

4. Kaiser-Man thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, you're wright, I already replaced it with a mid-14 rMBP 15''.
    Just that it still works, despite the quirks, and if it was the battery might worth the effort, but after yesterday tests, even without the battery not turning on and watching some videos about repairs in logic boards, found that it doesn't worth the effort or the price of the repair.

I'll continue using it, one heating at a time, untils it breaks for good. :)

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

You could bake it, can't really make it worst than it is.

6. Flavs macrumors newbie

Damn, i started having the same issue. Did you figured out something besides warming it before?

7. TAJones99 macrumors member

TAJones99

I have a mid 2010 17" and so far its been good, I still have just 4gigs of Ram inside I should definitely upgrade to 8gigs.

8. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

Could be thermal paste on the motherboard, some who have had this issue say re-pasting solved the problem. The job is not that difficult if you are handy - that is if you have eliminated the possibility of battery, magsafe failures, smc resets, pram resets etc. Definitely worth saving your 17", and motherboards for that model can be found on the bay.