Macbook Pro 17" Displays

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tongrd, Oct 22, 2009.

1. tongrd macrumors newbie

I've seen the MBP 13" and 15" glossy displays, but I'm wondering if a 17" antiglare display will also have the black border around the screen? I've seen a few pictures of 17" antiglare screens and they don't seem to look like the other ones, maybe it's just the antiglare screens that don't have the black surrounding the screen, can anyone confirm this?

I'm still considering whether to get a glossy or antiglare screen for my new MBP, though I've seen a mixed bunch of responses towards the glossy vs antiglare. Personally I think I might go for antiglare as I'll be using it for more photoediting/film editing, though I still think the black borders look better ...

Which to pick....:confused:

2. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

matte display:silver border
    glossy display:black border

Most people would tell you that the colors look richer and more vivid on the glossy display, and thats why people buy it instead of the "necessary" matte option

3. tongrd thread starter macrumors newbie

Would it be possible to buy the glossy version, then test it out and if i don't want so much reflection buy an anti-glare film and put it over the screen? I think there are some anti-glare films out there somewhere, though how is the quality? That way i'd be able to control the extent of gloss/matte, wouldn't I?

4. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

Necessary my arse.

I run glossy, I love it. The colours pop and I rarely have a glare problem that can't be corrected with a simple tilt.

In full sun I can see my screen in all it's splendour.

I'm a photographer, I love glossy.

5. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

You certainly can do that. Keep in mind that it's not the same as the actual non-glare solution Apple uses (they take off the glass and put the bezel on, etc.)

6. tongrd thread starter macrumors newbie

Would the difference be in quality, or is Apple's method of anti-glare completely different? Am I right in thinking that they replace the glass screen that is used on glossy, so an antiglare film wouldn't be as effective? I've heard that sticking on a layer of antiglare film makes it worse as it's quite far from the actual screen...

Also can anybody actually clarify whether the anti-glare screen is the old display? I've seen all sorts of arguments saying that its inferior, whilst others say it isnt

7. Doju macrumors 68000

Come on man. :p Are you seriously asking if removing the screen, putting a new one on and taking off the glass, the thing that makes it so glossy is better or worse than just slapping on a plastic film onto an incredibly gloss surface? You're comparing your manufacturer designing a laptop to be specifically anti-gloss, versus a plastic film on an already glossy surface. Both work, but logically, what one do you think works better?

That's like asking: "What smells better? A goat with perfume or Megan Fox?"

Disclaimer: I'm a glossy fan. It just seems like a ridiculous question. For me glossy isn't that reflective, and when it is I just move slightly and I'm fine. I like the more vivid colors.

8. the Helix macrumors regular

the Helix

Classic. This comment just made my day!
    ;-)

9. tongrd thread starter macrumors newbie

Just want to make sure, don't want to be regretting a decision on a $3000 MBP:p

Does anyone know if the screen is the 'old' MBP screen tho? Nobody seems to be able to confirm whether it has the 'increased gamut' or if that is just glossy...