Macbook pro 17" - found loose part while i was replacing ram, what is it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by youraa, Oct 8, 2012.

1. youraa macrumors newbie

Hi
    Today I opened my macbook pro late 2011 17", and when I was abou to upgrade my ram I saw a loose part laying just beside the ram slots (picture attached).
    I saw that on the mainboard there is some more of these things but I couldn't find the place where it was attached.
    Any idea what is this part and what is it responsible for? Should I worry?
    For now I checked the computer withe the new ram and everything seems fine.
    Can I repair it somehow? although I think that it was soldered to the board.
    pls help :)))
    thx in advance :)
    y

Attached Files:

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

You are lucky it didn't short circuit something.
    Don't know what it actually is but looks like it's a cap for something, sometimes you see caps on bolts for safety, or not to get damage if there are cables nearby.
    Tried to do a reverse image lookup but the picture isn't good enough for that, to little contrast.

3. youraa thread starter macrumors newbie

I think it's one of this kind (see picture attached) there are several places on the board where you can find them, but I was looking for a missing one and could't find it maybe it came of while I was opening the case, or maybe it was done in the factory. I wonder what it does?

Attached Files:

4. justperry, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012

justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I think I found out, but let me first ask on which side the "hoods" are?

I am not english so forgive me if the word is wrong.

Think it's a bushing with thread in it, the one where the bolt/screw goes in.
    And, if that is true I would open up the MBP again, there could still be a small bolt inside.

Is there thread inside, it is probably very small, not bigger than 5mm (1/5"), is this true?

Look at the attachment, it's where the heatpipe is attached to.

Attached Files:

5. youraa thread starter macrumors newbie

but the bottom of it is completly flat, as if it was sticked to something

I will do a better picture in a sec

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I think you're correct here. Those are just spring loaded pins that contact the case. If I had to guess, I'd say they're all connected to ground. There are probably half a dozen more, so if you're not having problems everything is fine.

It's hard to tell from the first picture alone since there isn't anything there as a size reference.

7. youraa thread starter macrumors newbie

new pics of the piece, I also thought that it could be a stopper for the case bottom, but I want to be sure :)

unfortunately the pictures out of focus :/

Attached Files:

8. justperry, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012

justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I have issues with my internet here, slow like hell, cell tower maintenance was done but after it it's worse, sorry if I can not reply or late.

Might have the wrong image posted from a different MBP, does not look similar.

Really have to be a close-up to see it well, they seem to be tiny, if it's any smaller than lets say 3-5 mm my explanation might be wrong.

Edit: just looked at the last images you gave, it seems like it was soldered to the logic board and I think you and the other poster are right, a stopper and/or a pin to make contact to the housing.

Edit Again: what is the height of the pin.
    And, if the above is the case then there is little to worry about.

9. youraa thread starter macrumors newbie

the size refference is in the second post with the red arrows, it's a picture from the net, but I marked similar parts on the board

----------

OH and big THX for helping guys :)

----------

It is a spring loaded pin :))) thx again for the help guys :)))