Macbook pro 17" - found loose part while i was replacing ram, what is it?

youraa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
Hi
Today I opened my macbook pro late 2011 17", and when I was abou to upgrade my ram I saw a loose part laying just beside the ram slots (picture attached).
I saw that on the mainboard there is some more of these things but I couldn't find the place where it was attached.
Any idea what is this part and what is it responsible for? Should I worry?
For now I checked the computer withe the new ram and everything seems fine.
Can I repair it somehow? although I think that it was soldered to the board.
pls help :)))
thx in advance :)
y

Attachments

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
You are lucky it didn't short circuit something.
Don't know what it actually is but looks like it's a cap for something, sometimes you see caps on bolts for safety, or not to get damage if there are cables nearby.
Tried to do a reverse image lookup but the picture isn't good enough for that, to little contrast.

youraa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
I think it's one of this kind (see picture attached) there are several places on the board where you can find them, but I was looking for a missing one and could't find it maybe it came of while I was opening the case, or maybe it was done in the factory. I wonder what it does?

Attachments

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I think I found out, but let me first ask on which side the "hoods" are?

I am not english so forgive me if the word is wrong.

Think it's a bushing with thread in it, the one where the bolt/screw goes in.
And, if that is true I would open up the MBP again, there could still be a small bolt inside.

Is there thread inside, it is probably very small, not bigger than 5mm (1/5"), is this true?

Look at the attachment, it's where the heatpipe is attached to.

Attachments

Last edited:

youraa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
but the bottom of it is completly flat, as if it was sticked to something

I will do a better picture in a sec

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I think it's one of this kind (see picture attached) there are several places on the board where you can find them, but I was looking for a missing one and could't find it maybe it came of while I was opening the case, or maybe it was done in the factory. I wonder what it does?
I think you're correct here. Those are just spring loaded pins that contact the case. If I had to guess, I'd say they're all connected to ground. There are probably half a dozen more, so if you're not having problems everything is fine.

It's hard to tell from the first picture alone since there isn't anything there as a size reference.

youraa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
new pics of the piece, I also thought that it could be a stopper for the case bottom, but I want to be sure :)

unfortunately the pictures out of focus :/

Attachments

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I have issues with my internet here, slow like hell, cell tower maintenance was done but after it it's worse, sorry if I can not reply or late.

Might have the wrong image posted from a different MBP, does not look similar.

Really have to be a close-up to see it well, they seem to be tiny, if it's any smaller than lets say 3-5 mm my explanation might be wrong.

Edit: just looked at the last images you gave, it seems like it was soldered to the logic board and I think you and the other poster are right, a stopper and/or a pin to make contact to the housing.

Edit Again: what is the height of the pin.
And, if the above is the case then there is little to worry about.

Last edited:

youraa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
I think you're correct here. Those are just spring loaded pins that contact the case. If I had to guess, I'd say they're all connected to ground. There are probably half a dozen more, so if you're not having problems everything is fine.

It's hard to tell from the first picture alone since there isn't anything there as a size reference.
the size refference is in the second post with the red arrows, it's a picture from the net, but I marked similar parts on the board

----------

OH and big THX for helping guys :)

----------

It is a spring loaded pin :))) thx again for the help guys :)))

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.