Macbook Pro 17" HELP! with spilt water problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DownBAC, Feb 18, 2010.

1. DownBAC macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and was hoping I could seek some help from a more knowledgeable source.

I spilt water on my macbook pro, and wasn't smart enough to let it dry out.

When I plug it into charge, no light from the charger comes on. When I turn on the computer, it starts up, the screen is still pitch black.... but if I look close enough I barely can see my startup screen.

I am thinking about replacing the logic board? ( from what I have read in other threads). What should I do about this situation. I don't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money at the apple store to have this replace.

Thank you.

2. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

The problem with spied water on Laptops is that they cause short-circuits which destroy the computer, a smart move would've been not to plug your computer and remove the battery, than lean your computer with the keyboard downwards, now that you say that you plugged it in, better go to the apple store, those amounts are not exactly ridiculous, the logic boards means almost the whole computer, meaning everything but the body, screen, Ram and Hard-Drive, the CPU and GPU are integrated there, if your computer costed you 2,500$ the fixing will be around 1200-1600$ better get a new one which will come out, sit and cry, or fix it, water and electricity destroy computers

3. DownBAC thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply Alvi. What if I bought a logic board like on Ebay, and replaced it myself.

Would you suggested that I go this route?

4. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

An alternative would be to get a repair estimate, either from an Apple Store or from an authorized service center. Once you know what needs to get done, you may have a better idea whether that's something that you could potentially attempt to do.

5. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

The amounts for a new logic board *are* pretty ridiculous. And Apple should protect their laptops better against a very likely occurence for a 'Pro' laptop (my T60 has fluid drains) /end rant

You could try replacing the logic board yourself and save some money

6. MADMAXX macrumors member

Eh hello? Home and content insurance? This will be covered.

7. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

This advice is obviously too late for you, but if you spill liquid in a laptop the best thing to do is immediately turn it upside down standing on the top of the screen and the bottom of the keyboard (like an upside down v), remove the power adapter and the battery then leave it somewhere warm. I saved my laptop by doing this in the past. I left mine for a day and went at it with a hairdryer.

Sorry, I know it's not helpful to you, but it's worthwhile information as I've seen so many people do all of the wrong things in this situation.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why?

Most people are pretty careful when it comes to their very expensive tools. Plus fluid drain holes matter very little when you spill liquid on your laptop and then turn it on. Liquid and electronics do not mix and unfortunately the OP probably shorted something out. This isn't apple's fault do to lack of design or planning, its the OPs

9. zipa macrumors 65816

Well, since Apple designed and planned the MBP, not OP, it's hardly his fault that they aren't sufficiently protected from spills. Not that I think that MBPs should be "spill-proof", they aren't really aimed at the "toughbook-market".

10. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

the problem with buying a new one on ebay and doing it yourself is that you don't know if it has caused any damage to the screen, the HDD, the disk drive, or any other components, so even after you replace the logic board, you still may have a broken Macbook, and just be out of pocket even more, and probably of voided any warranty, if you get it fixed by apple, your warranty should stay intact... And as MADMAXX said, the repairs may even be covered on any Home Insurance, or even a replacement Macbook. DIY should be a last resort.

11. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

Best don't, some and most of them are used once, you don't know if they could be broken and they breakdown after a week or a few months, if you're planning to fix something do it well with apple, iit could be cheaper to buy a refurb Laptop, go to your apple store to see how much it costs

12. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Well, with the dark screen, try shining a torch on it to see if you can see anything. If you can see everything on the screen while shining the torch on it then for some reason your backlights not working. As for the charging... I don't know that one sorry:(