MacBook Pro 17" High Res

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TPMann GB, Apr 7, 2008.

1. TPMann GB macrumors member

Good Evening from Great Britain,

This morning my new MacBook Pro arrived, and after reading a lot of the negative posts here I thought it might be worth sharing my experience.

After waiting for the Penryn updates, I finally ordered my MacBook Pro on 29th March. My trusty iMac G5 20" was duly put on eBay and sold very fast indeed.

I went for the HD screen upgrade as I loved the huge 20" screen on my iMac, but the computer itself was becoming rather slow when running iPhoto 08 and Office 2008.

The delivery estimate I was given was incorrect, the MBP arrived early! Today it was like Christmas Day all over again as I unboxed the most awesome computer I have ever used.

Everything was absolutely perfect, just as I had ordered, right down to the handy Apple Remote. It all worked first time, no issues. The screen is amazing, 1920x1200 is just fantastic. My iPhone, iTunes & iPhoto library all transitioned perfectly over. It is so much more snappier than the G5, I'm not sure how I waited this long before buying an Intel Mac. My Time Capsule arrives in a few days, and the Wireless Mighty Mouse is brilliant.

As I sit typing (on the illuminated keyboard), I know I have definitely made the right choice- if anybody else is unsure as to whether go all out for a new MacBook Pro it is so worth it.

2. super98111 macrumors member

Congratulations!

3. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

Glad you're happy with it. I got my new one last week and it rocks, too! :D Love the screen.

4. gelatin macrumors 6502

5. catgirl macrumors newbie

MBP 17" High res for "aging eyes"

I want to purchase a MacBook Pro 17" glossy screen and am hesitant about the high res screen being too hard for "aging eyes" to read. I know it will be fine with Safari, and some Apple apps, however, I am apprehensive about reading the text and numbers in spread sheets & email. None of the apple stores have the high res 17" on display to tryout. Have you noticed any problems reading?(if you are under 40, you won't have any problems - my eyes have been around for 60 years now). Would appreciate any feedback. (I'm switching from Windows to Mac now that I am retired).

6. mayassa macrumors regular

My eyes have only been around for 43 years but I went for the 17 Hires model. I do wear glasses to drive but not for the Mac or reading. The resolution is amazing, I also just zoom the screen to make the text big and easy to read. I would not hesitate.

7. harvdogg macrumors newbie

I just got my MBP on friday and it's my first mac ever....I love it! Best decision I made..I also got the glossy screen and I don't regret it!

8. BoostFab macrumors newbie

that's awesome, thanks for sharing.

that's the thing i love about Apple, they put out products that are very elegant. the MBP is elite to all laptop on the market. My work place uses Dell laptop, and man I tell you, they look like crap, the plastics are falling apart, especially the hinges flapping all over the place. on top of that, their 17" are one heavy SOB. My personal laptop is a PB G4 17", unfortunately I can't fork out hte $ for a new MBP 17", instead I converted it to 17"WUXGA, I just say woow, so much more desktop real estate.

9. fredrickyoon macrumors regular

fredrickyoon

Just sold my MB Pro 17 inch 2.6 GHz Santa Rosa last night (purchased on 01/17/08) and upgraded to the MB Pro 17 inch 2.6 GHz Penyrn processor this morning and loving every bit of it. Chose the widescreen (1920 X 1200) one.

It's also a Week 11 Production Model.

10. redundantsilent macrumors newbie

You won't have any trouble reading anything with the high res screen. The new multitouch track pad allows you to zoom in and out easily, and if the app doesnt support it, the command option + allows you to make the entire screen bigger.