Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xactophobic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2013
Hello,

I have a very old macbook pro, purchased in early 2007 and thankfully I have upgraded my mac since then, however I still have files on this mac and get on it every so often.

I just noticed the bottom swelling and saw that it was the battery, which is becoming unglued. When I have the laptop plugged in, the battery doesn't need to be used, but if I were to unplug, obviously I'd be screwed. So should I save my files on an external hard drive and ditch the mac or should I invest in buying a new battery?

If you need more info on the mac I'm referring to or have any other questions that could help you with your answer to me, please ask!

Thank you!

mbh

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
So should I save my files on an external hard drive and ditch the mac or should I invest in buying a new battery?

You should obviously make sure you have backups of your important files, but that's just standard procedure to be followed even if your computer is healthy.

I have the same computer and the same problem with the batteries. I've been through 3 of them, and they have all gone bad and swelled up. Don't leave it in your computer since the pressure can damage the rest of the computer.

It's up to you if you want to get another battery or sell the machine. I can't make that decision for you. If you do buy another battery there's a good chance it will suffer the same fate in 3+ years. Maybe by then you'll be ready to get rid of the machine. Good luck.

xactophobic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2013
Thanks for the reply and advice about taking it out of the machine. I was going to back it up either way! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.