MacBook Pro 17 inch 2010 random shut offs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Andretti, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Andretti, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017

Andretti macrumors newbie

Hi, we have issues with our MacBook Pro 17 inch 2010 (last model without thunderbolt).

We were experiencing sudden and random unexpected drop outs using he battery, but not with connection to mains.

Replacing the battery didn't solve the issue. PRAM/NVRAM reset also not resolving the issue.

Any ideas or tips very welcome! Thanks.

Edit: I discovered that the right fan isn't working. Could this be cause? Meanwhile I am sure that
    dropp outs do not happen while connected to mains

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

You can try resetting the SMC too, but I doubt that will fix it. Could be a cable issue.

3. Andretti thread starter macrumors newbie

Did all the resets.which cable could it be?

4. Sanpete macrumors 68020

I was thinking of the one to the battery, but I suppose any involved in the power supply could be implicated. That's assuming it's a power issue.

5. Andretti thread starter macrumors newbie

I discovered that the right fan isn't working. Could this be cause? Meanwhile I am sure that
    dropp outs do not happen while connected to mains

6. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

Check your logs and see if there is an error being reported and then power off signal being sent.

If your fan isn't turning it could be shorted and and feeding the juice straight back to the source instead of using it to spin the blades and this is causing an immediate shutdown or something.

Also check and see if the warning logo is next to your battery in the menu thing that lets you check battery level. The warning just showed up on my 2008 MBP last weekend. Apple doesn't sell the battery I need anymore. :-(

7. Andretti, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017

Andretti thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!
    The fan shorting could be it (I hope). we exchanged left and right fan just for testing and for sure the right fan is broken. I ordered a new one. Battery tests fine with Coconut and no warning. (original battery did give warning)

8. Andretti thread starter macrumors newbie

Could you point me to the specific log I need to look at? There is a lot of data to be viewed in "Console". Thanks!

9. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

I think it might be the system.log file. Other than that I'm guessing your favorite internet search engine of choice is going to be more help than I could be.

10. Andretti thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. should have thought of that myself :-0

11. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

No problem, it's just that I've reached my limit of how I can help you via forum posts. :)