Macbook Pro 17 inch Hinge loose as standard??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ishopukisfake, Aug 5, 2008.

1. ishopukisfake macrumors regular

I bought a Macbook pro 17 inch recently and I've noticed that when I Hold it up so the lid become less than 90 degree's in relation to the keyboard it falls shut by the wight of gravity.

I have done a bit of googling and even see a youtube vid of someone with the same problem, I've seen some say it is as standard and the same for every 17 inch. I would appreciate any feedback from other 17 inch owners to confirm whether this is just a natural issue with the size and weight of the screen or if its a technical issue i should get technical support for...

Thanks... it doesn't seem to effect the 15 inch model btw.
    :apple:

2. Abhorred macrumors member

It's pretty well par for the course with the 17" models. Hardly ideal, but nothing out of the ordinary.

3. MKnight macrumors regular

MKnight

I've heard of this happening for some, but my 17" has no problems luckily. Not everyone has this issue. Probably depends on when it was produced. I just got mine last month.

4. ishopukisfake thread starter macrumors regular

5. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I have to say that the weight of the screen on the 17" is probably contributing to the problem as well.

6. mynameisshawn macrumors member

Same deal, except I had mine for two months.

7. nephilim7 macrumors regular

I've heard of this happening and I've seen it in the display models but mine doesn't do it as easily as others. I've had it about 2 months.

8. ohforfckssake! macrumors regular

I vaguely remember reading a fix for this somewhere on the internets (maybe here?) but I didn't bookmark it.

9. ishopukisfake thread starter macrumors regular

Now I'm considering taking it in to my local apple store to see if they can tweak it and tighten a screw or something, it is a little annoying if your moving it about or trying to show something.

I have my old black macbook in getting a dysfunctional backlight, whining and popping noise repaired, so when I go in to get that back (or replaced) I might take in the macbook pro to see what they say about it.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The 17" uses a counter balance hinge, basically when you have it flat the hinge can balance the weight of the screen, but when you move it to an incline it won't be able to balance anymore and the screen closes. There is no way for them to tighten this.

They might be able to tighten this on the friction hinge on a 15", but on a 17" it's not possible to adjust.

11. ishopukisfake thread starter macrumors regular

Ah... Ok, Thanks for the update, I'll probably not bother taking it in then.
    I'm happier knowing it's standard for this model and not a freak problem.

12. PDE macrumors 68020

When I had a 17" I took it in for something and asked the genius if they could fix the hinge. He replied that they couldn't. Kind of annoying if you want to use it in bed with your knees up, but otherwise the hinge is wonderfully smooth and pleasant to 'use'. So it's just the way it is, nothing to worry about.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah I had to go to store to check all the computers when I first did that.

14. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

yes all the 17" ones are more loose then the 15" ones, its not bad because its more easy to pull up then the 15"

15. ishopukisfake thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, on the positive side that is true, its nice and smooth to open and close