MacBook Pro 17 inch (mid 2010) - Ram question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lasniko, Nov 1, 2016.

1. lasniko macrumors member

Hi there,

1) I would like to ask if it is possible to upgrade my MacBook Pro 17 inch (mid 2010) Ram up to 16GB.

Apple officially states that the specific model can run up to 8 GB Ram but I also read that this MacBook can handle the 16 GB Ram.

2) Do you believe that this model will able to run the next MacOS or Sierra is the last.

Regards

2. Andreas222 macrumors newbie

3. lasniko thread starter macrumors member

Hi again,

My MacBook Pro 17inch has:

1) 8GB RAM
    2) SSD (Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series)

Running the last macOS Sierra is there any way to make my machine faster e.g. a better SSD?

Regards

4. Andreas222 macrumors newbie

I don't think so. A faster SSD won't help. The one you have is already faster than what your computer can handle. If the computer is too slow for you, it may be time to get a new one. 6+ years for a computer s still very good :)

5. MBPro17 macrumors newbie

I have 16 GB of RAM in my late 2011 17". It does accept it.

6. lasniko thread starter macrumors member

16GB of Ram? I thought that it doesn't. Maybe yours because it's late 2011 can handle it. Mine is mid 2010.

@Andreas222 I love my machine especially the monitor's real estate. I would like the 15 inch models but the prices are beyond my financial estate :)

7. Andreas222 macrumors newbie

I understand. Maybe you can find a used machine from a few generations back. If you get a 15" retina (or any retina screen), you can adjust the scaling to create more screen real estate. However, things can get quite small. Maybe also consider if you really need portability? I was in a similar situation with my 2010 15" MBP and bought a 27" iMac instead, since I realised I mostly used it from home anyways.

8. DocBrownDDS macrumors newbie

I did the same thing. I love both of my 17" MBPs, but I bought a 27" Mac for home. Now thats a lot of real estate!

9. Macbookprodude macrumors regular

Macbookprodude

Yes, this is a pic of the laptop 6,1 MacBook Pro with 16GB of memory under OS X High Sierra.. probably due to the Intel chip mess.

Attached Files: