Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JetBCN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2020
Hi everyone,
Yesterday, the question mark appeared on my screen and I used disk utility to try repair things. This worked for the OSX Base system disk, no problems there. But the internal disk gave a failure (I should have taken a photo of that, I cannot remember what it said). Anyway, I gave the Mac some rest (considering its age) and in the evening did the same thing, same result. I have a backup of the files so decided to erase the disk to hopefully solve things. Now it is around 14 hours that nothing has happened, the same message on the screen, no advance on the bar or anything, no noise, no heat ... I tried to quit Disk Utility but that does not work either. I did not do any secure erase or anything, just the straightforward erase disk for High Sierra that was recommended at the top of the list of options.
Anyone who can help me keep my Mac alive will be rewarded with tapas if ever you visit Barcelona. Thanks.
20200501_093612.jpg

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
I'm guessing your hard drive is bad. I recommend replacing it with an SSD drive. It looks like removing and replacing the hard drive is somewhat easy, according to

JetBCN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2020
Yes, I was afraid of that.
It's just that I want to try everything before replacing it. Maybe there is something I can still try, you never know.

How risky is it to shut the system down now, do you think? It's not like anything is happening, it's been like this since about 7 last night (it past 10 am now here).

The link you sent me is great, btw. I have opened the mac once or twice to get rid of the dust, so I have the tools I need. If there is nothing else to try, I guess I'll try to get a new drive. Do you have /know anyone with/ any experience with the IFIXIT shop, is it reliable?

mick2

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2017
UK
You can shut the machine down now. After several hours, the HDD is dead and beyong saving.

You can use any SATA 2.5" SSD. They're available on eg Amazon and are cheap. Eg

Other good options are Samsung 860 Evo, Sandisk. Choose whatever size you need. Your machine will be faster than you've ever experienced if you've been using a regular spinning HDD up to now.

Follow the iFixit guide above and you'll be fine.

JetBCN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2020
Great, thanks for your help.
I keep away from Amazon ... and Facebook and Instagram and changed to Protonmail some time ago to keep Google out of my life as much as possible (is it allowed to be partisan on this site? ;-) ).
I will order through iFixit unless I hear from experiences that warn against them.
Thanks again everyone!

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
Great, thanks for your help.
I keep away from Amazon ... and Facebook and Instagram and changed to Protonmail some time ago to keep Google out of my life as much as possible (is it allowed to be partisan on this site? ;-) ).
I will order through iFixit unless I hear from experiences that warn against them.
Thanks again everyone!

iFixit is good. It sounds like you're in Spain. I highly recommend buying from a local, reputable dealer to support your local economy.

JetBCN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2020
Yes, that would be good. The only thing is that all shops are closed. Today we are allowed to go out for walks or sports between 6 and 10 AM and after 8 PM. So we have a long way to go. But you're right, I also think buying locally is important. Maybe I can find a shop here where I can order to have it delivered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.