macbook pro 17 inch or 15 inch

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tim100, Jun 23, 2009.

1. tim100 macrumors 65816

I use my portable at home, I don't travel much. I am looking for a good machine to use in various locations around the house including the couch. I have a desktop put don't use it. I spend most of my day at a desk so prefer not to be at a desk at home. I am not a gamer or power user. Should I get a 15 or 17 inch portable as my main computer? I have had 15 inch in the past and been happy however I am thinking about upgrading.

2. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

Sounds like even the 13" will be good for you - but if you want more screen real estate the 15" is not that bulky and would do just fine.

Unless you do not have another bigger screen computer (not sure what your desktop is connected to) and do work which can benefit from more screen real estate - don't bother with the 17".

I would suggest go to a nearby Apple Store and check out both the 13 and 15" and see what you like.

3. gusanitoverde macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde

It depends on who you are

The 17 inch is heavy, bulky at a point, but real estate is an issue for me. I need lots of space and still I don't have enough. I do basic picture and video editing. Also, when I am at work, I use the maximum space and having tons of apps open, I use "spaces" and seems to help.

That's me though.

I could never see myself with a 15 inch. Usually the 15 inch mac users always tell me: "your laptop is so cool!" "Screen is so much better".

I don't mind the weight, don't mind the size. I even have a stylish backpack to carry the laptop around.
    :D

4. joro macrumors 68020

joro

I personally have a 15” MBP and it works great for what I need. As a photographer, I carry the MBP in my gear bag when I go on shoots and I’m able to download the images as I take them. Once I get home, I’m able to do some great photo editing through Aperture all with no problems. While a bigger screen definitely is nice, you’ll have to decide whether the little bit it adds in weight and size is worth it to you.

5. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

i have a 17 inch pc and you will not like using a 17 on the couch, get the 15 inch you will be happier and you can use the extra $$ for a nice big monitor

6. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

I have a 24 inch monitor at work and like the extra space. At home I have a 15 inch notebook and a 20 inch screen desktop. I don't use the desktop because I never go into the room where it is. I like the flexibility of moving around the house. I am either going to get another 15 or upgrade to a 17. My concern is the 17 will be too big. Anyone move from a 15 to a 17? I know main get a 13 for portability and get a larger monitor for at home. I don't want this option, I want to be away from the desk.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I've been using 17" PowerBook and MBP for years.

The 17" is definitely NOT heavy NOR bulky, considering it weights the same as most 15" pc laptops.

MBP is not a PC. 17" PC are heavy and unbalanced. 17" MBP works great.

8. DKinAA macrumors newbie

take care with 17 inch display

I've used 15 inch mac laptops for years, just got the new 17 inch mainly to try the new battery regime and a bigger display.

But the 17" display is also very high res, and the default settings for everything can result in very small type on the screens. If your vision isn't very good (I'm older with some issues), the new 17" display is actually less usable than my older 15" display - although it is absolutely gorgeous on the whole. If you can get to a store and compare them carefully and skeptically, it would be a really good idea -

Another issue - the 17" is definitely harder to use in an airline seat than a 15". The new unibody 15" with the big battery would be the better choice if you need to travel a lot.