MacBook Pro 17 inch screen choice...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stevenb, Aug 25, 2008.

1. stevenb macrumors member

I've been to a few Apple stores and have been unable to find any with the 17 inch Hi-Res display. I would like to compare the standard and Hi-Res. Has anyone seen both of them? Does anyone have a Hi-Res display? I am pretty sure I am going with the matte display as I use it outside to download photo's. Any thoughs on the LED Hi-Res displays would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

About display resolution
    The standard 1680 x 1050 resolution on the 17-inch MacBook Pro offers as many pixels as the 20-inch Apple Cinema Display.

By upgrading to the high-resolution 1920x1200 pixel display, you'll enjoy a workspace with 30% more pixels than the standard model, or as many pixels as the 23-inch Apple Cinema HD Display. You'll have more space for palettes and windows, and you can watch 1080 HD video content at full resolution.

The high-resolution display also offers LED backlighting, which delivers instant full-screen brightness and greater power efficiency compared to standard displays — up to an additional 30 minutes of battery life for wireless productivity.

3. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

ya what he said, plus the HR is uber cool. I get jealous every time i see a 17in. MBP with the HR display compared to my 15in. MBP. When the time is right ill be getting one to replace my current MBP.

4. bleepjay macrumors member

+1 for the HR screen. I bought the standard display and realized I needed more because of work (software dev). I went ahead and upgraded to the HR and as soon as I got it, I couldn't believe the difference.

If you need the room, go for the HR display, plus the LED is great also. Hurts my eyes to look at in dark.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Only 1 is HR in the store and if you buy it you have to get the 2.6GHz and 200GH 7.2k upgrades as well.

And I've owned both and I can tell you, they are really pretty much the same. The standard is good enough for 99% of what I did including Photoshop, FCE, and programming which normally require a lot of screen real estate. Of course I would never go as far to suggest buying the standard over the HR, but if you happen to want to save a few bucks, the standard is fine. Otherwise, do a BTO and get the HR.

6. RandiC macrumors member

I bought my 17" Hi Res 1 month ago and wouldn't think of buying anything else it awesome! And if the text is to small the multi touch zoom fixes that. DO IT

7. stevenb thread starter macrumors member

Thanks...

I just purchased a Refurbished MacBook Pro from the Apple website with the matte Hi-Res display. The $500 I saved just paid for the warranty and the sales tax. I have heard good things about the refurbished units and I guess I am taking a "leap-of-faith". Thanks again for the replies. I am sure I will have questions later on. This is my first Mac as I have been a PC user since Windows 3.0. I have seen the light and left the "dark-side". :)