MacBook Pro 17-inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Snookik, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Snookik macrumors newbie

I know there are many topics about this, but i'm in an other situation.

My grandma who is 67-years just got her first computer. We went to the nearby apple store and we chose a macbook pro (since she doesn't have any desk in her house to put something like an iMac on).

She didn't care about price (since she is a rich bastard) and she said i should choose what kind of laptop she needed. Imo... she needed the best thing there was because she said if she didn't got along with ''the computer word'' i would get it. I chose the macbook pro 17'' new thunderbolt i7 2.2 ofc. I brought it home to configure it for her and found out that it's quite a heavy thing.

So here is my question:
    Should i have told the 15'' was enough? I was going for the 17'' because of the nice 1920x1200, but now i have it in my hand i find it not-portable.

What would you have bought for your 67-yo grandma?

Regards,

Snookik

ps: english is not my native language :)

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Probably a 15" stock model. I would think the high resolution would be hard on her eyes, and she really doesn't need something that big or high-end.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If she wants or needs something light, then I would have bought her a 13" MBA. The SSD makes it very fast, most likely faster than the MBP in her usage. Dont think yourself now, buy what is the best for her. Not what is the most expensive and what you would like to have.

4. Snookik thread starter macrumors newbie

She said it looks fine with the brightness turned down and a warm color profile. We tried it out in the mac store before we bought it ;p.

5. Snookik thread starter macrumors newbie

She wanted it to be fast to go through another 4 years and if she didn't need it, we would have something to do with the macbook.

please remember that she doesn't care about money, she's a rich bitch ;D.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yeah but still. I doubt her usage is more than web surfing and email. In her hands, the MBA will feel faster due to the SSD. Quad core or AMD 6750M is no use for her. I'm sure she will appreciate the lightness as well and the 17" is kinda bulky to move around.

I think you should ask her what she wants. Does she find the 17" to be too heavy to move around? Is the screen size and especially the high resolution comfortable for her? Did you take her to an Apple store to show her different Macs?

7. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Gotcha. I personally don't like such high pixel density, as reading small text can make my eyes hurt after a while.

8. AlanFord macrumors regular

17' model is okey.Resolution can be dropped if it's too small for her.
    Even though I think that iMac would be better.

9. anonymouse99 macrumors regular

I would personally get a 2.7GHz 13" 2011 macbook pro hooked up to an external 27" monitor. You could bump up the font size of the external display. This also gives the flexibility of using it as a desktop or as a portable unit. If she tends to travel between places, she could get a monitor for every house she owns ;) :D Good luck!

10. Snookik thread starter macrumors newbie

She actually prefers the big screen! We were in the apple store and we were deciding between the sizes. She preferred the 17 inch model and said we should decide too because we would use it more than here eventually at her house when i come from college.

She wanted to buy the most powerful since she didn't want it to become useless in 5 years.

however i still think i kinda ripped her off i think she would have a blast with this baby in the computer world. It is a portable desktop and she wanted to watch movies since she doesn't even have a DVD player

That also closes out the MBA ;p

still.. i think of returning this baby and get the 15 inch.

give your arguments for the 15-inch or did i do a decent decision for the rich old lady?

11. Snookik thread starter macrumors newbie

As i said in OP. She doesn't know where to place a 27'' screen. Her TV is still a CRT 4:3 Loewe thing. She has many antique stuff but when it comes to buying something... she wants the best. We told her to buy a laptop, because eventually society will force you anyway.

12. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

13. JBmac macrumors member

JBmac

Get an iPad too!

Since money isn't an issue, why don't you also buy an iPad for her to carry around, and leave the laptop on the desk?

14. harcosparky macrumors 68020

27" iMac ..... USB TV Stick

Get rid of her old TV !!!

15. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

This case sounds like Projective identification to me.

16. CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

Get her the MBP 15" Ultimate with a SSD 256 GB drive.

This is not as heavy as the 17", so she can lug it aorund the house.
    Then buy her an external Apple Cinema Display 27", an Apple Wireless heyboard and a Magic mouse and/or a Magic Trackpad and connect it to the MBP 15, when she's at home.

Best mobile solution for her, I think :)
    Or get her a MBA 13 Ultimate with the external ACD 27" for ultimate mobility :apple:

17. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    lol exactly

if money is now object:
    mac-mini; samsung 9000 series 55" -£4500
    MBA for portability and you can get and external usb drive £1400
    wireless keyboard+trackpad