MacBook Pro 17" line

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mactoday, Nov 23, 2012.

1. mactoday macrumors member

I've been thinking about getting MacBook Pro 17" but looks like Apple suspended this model. I like big screen and resolution 1920x1200 is great and anti-glare screen is cool option, do you think Apple will never release new MacBook Pro 17"? I don't really want to get 2011 refurbished model because of problems with SATA 3 in optical bay and no USB 3 ports but If I knew for sure that they won't release MBP 17" then I want to buy 2011 refurbished 17 " model because for me it's better that 15" retina. What do you guys think, will they release new MBP 17" or they are done with this model?

2. MUBiomed macrumors 6502

MUBiomed

The 17" model is dead IMO. With the advent of retina 15" there is no need for the 17" since the screen real estate argument can no longer be made.

3. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

Apple is done with the 17" MacBook Pro. I have had a few, and after having a top-model retina MacBook Pro, I went back to the 17". Just upgrade the RAM to 16GB and the HDD to an SSD and it's an incredible machine.

4. coolmacoz macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro 17" still available in Australia

The Macbook Pro 17" has been discontinued by Apple, but it is still possible that the channel (Apple Authorised Resellers) may still have stocks available.
    We have sold one of these just last week and still available in Australia.

5. mactoday, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012

mactoday thread starter macrumors member

I want SATA 3 RAID 0 with 2x512Gb SSD, but 2011 model doesn't support SATA 3 in the optical bay. I would go for refurbished late 2011 17" 2.5Ghz model but what really stop me is problem with SATA and no USB 3. Retina is for kids who doesn't really understand how things work and Apple fool them around.
    I had a hope that Apple will eventually will turn their face not ass to Pro customers like they always was before Jobs came back and even after he came back until iPod and going to the main stream, now he is gone and Apple is forget that actually they are Apple because of DTP products that were made together with Adobe in 90's. Now they care only about sales and profits and don't care about quality.

6. Benjic macrumors regular

Please elaborate on how the Retina model is for kids again? You've piqued my interest.

7. mactoday thread starter macrumors member

Here is the actual resolution of Finder icon, in Safari you have to zoom in to see actual pixels. I would prefer to see first image that last one. :)
    [​IMG]
    Here what you see on the retina
    [​IMG]

8. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

Yes, but there is an expansion card slot on the side and you can buy USB 3.0 expansion cards, I just purchased one for mine but have not been home to open it and test it. Also, there may come a day when there's a Thunderbolt to USB 3.0 accessory (if not already) and you could use that.

If you really want it natively you could get a 15.4" MBP without retina and have it. I liked having USB 3.0 when I had my retina MBP but now that I have a 17" I don't miss it. But everyone has different uses/preferences.

9. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

there will be a return of the 17"MBP

of course there will be a return of the 17" MBPs with retina technology, the pro line is not complete without the great 17" MBP common! the current retina machines are indeed there to please the kiddies and take all their money, so that apple can pay for its bigger plans in the year to come. just be patient, they are zen about updates so can we, save your money or upgrade the heck out of the current models. i've given all their latest / greatest a fair test drive and returned em all only to fall back in love with my 17" MBP over and over again every day. it is that simple.

10. mactoday thread starter macrumors member

I didn't know that ExpressCard slot is still exist in late 17" MBP 2011 model.
    Thanks for mention this, so one problem solved, but I really want RAID 0 inside and simple MBA 15" 2012 even with 1680x1050 anti-glare screen is not an option, because I want simple HD resolution 1920x1200. I suppose I'll try SATA 3 SSD+SATA 2 SSD in optical bay. I'll go for 17" refurb. 2011 2.5Ghz.
    btw:Which brand USB 3.0 ExpressCard you've got?

11. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I dunno if they'll come back but IMHO it's probably best to pick up a refurb 17" if thats your thing.

The I don't care much for the retna stuff either and don't see it as a replacement for the 17"

12. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

R.I.P MBP 17" Apple is a consumer company now, focused on where the $$$$ flow, not creativity. The 17" MBP proved to be too niche and was resultantly cut, profitability is all that counts "Make no bones about it"...

13. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Your are so disconnected from reality it`s almost unreal, Apple have cut the 17" like it or not. The Retina line is far from being a child's toy, the biggest problem with the 17" was that it never truly differentiated itself from the 15" barring the display. Following your logic a 17" Retina will be a true professional tool, yet the 15" Retina is merely for "kiddies" toy, it`s time for somebody to grow up, and stop spouting drivel.

14. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

defeatist totalitarian over here

^

defeatist totalitarian over here

i will never 'grow up' and creativity is what drives the heart of :apple: regardless of how $$$$ hungry they have become they are not completely brain dead of creativity - so i know they will bring the 17" line back. creativity ultimately brings great prosperity, prosperity does help creativity out somewhat.

thank you for your 'absolute' attention.

15. lukester macrumors 6502

Glad to hear that since I have been going back and forth on the new 15" rMBP.
    I decided to add a 512 SSD to my 17" instead.

I do pro photography so I like the AG and the larger screen.

16. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

It would definitely be the computer of my choice if it was still out. For my needs, it's the perfect combo of power and portability. I'd go for it over the iMac that I intend to purchase if they still made it.

Here's to hoping that it will come back some day. Unfortunately, I'm kind of 70/30 in favor of them not bringing it back. They're scaring away all of their pros, so there will be even less of a need for a 17 inch Mac laptop as time goes on.

17. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I would prefer to see the last one with the detail of the first one, which is exactly what you get with the retina screens. Or how about resolution independence, allowing you to edit your 1080p video at native resolution in FCPX on a 15" screen? Oh, wait, doing that is DEFINITELY for kids. No way can that be helpful to a pro. Just like IPS tech really isn't useful for anyone who cares about viewing angles. [/sarcasm]

Seriously, saying that retina screens are for kids is like saying that a color screen is for kids. I won't deny that there are significant issues with the retina displays as they currently stand, but that's to be expected. Apple is definitely pushing the limits with this technology, but that's a good thing! That's what is going to drive companies to improve it.

It's NOT just for kids. Plenty of people will be drawn to it because it's shiny and looks nice, sure. But, for a screen, that's exactly what you want. That's the entire reason you choose one screen over another. Having a higher quality screen is a GOOD thing. Personally, I like the idea because it would make video editing on a 15" screen FAR, FAR more doable.

18. mactoday thread starter macrumors member

To use retina display Apple need a better graphics card a totally redesign GUI in MacOS X to make it the whole UI scalable on fly. Ask any retina user who even doesn't do a Pro apps if he is happy with his MBP retina at the moment, even scrolling in Safari is not smooth, what we are talking about here if Apple is still ship MBP retina (that actually should be for Pro users) without anti-glare option. I didn't see much difference what they have done to reduce glare, it's a little bit less glare that was but almost the same. Apple have done market research, I have no idea who have done this for them but as Jobs said some years ago that their customers want metal and glass in computers. Well, I'm Mac professional DTP user since 1993 and I don't want glass on my screen.
    IPS is great when it's matt matrix.

19. DionysusTheVino macrumors newbie

That's bull. The 17" had size, that's why people who bought them wanted them.

----------

The 17" doesn't have the "retina tax", which is the burden the GPU has to bear to run useless pixels for the sake of "prettiness". The 17" was a workhorse with the perfect balance between resolution and size. The 15" retina is unnecessarily burdened by a real-world useless display that nobody asked for.

20. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

They're awesome. Until this year, it's what we've used solely as our 'portable' Macs. We do mainly audio production, 75% and about 25% video capture, post, color and audio editing. We shoot Panasonic cameras, so we held on to a pair of old PowerBook 17s with the old expansion slot, fit the P2 cards perfectly and with FW800 for scratch drives in the field...an awesome combination...up until this year, and the release of the rMBP this year. I bought two. 17s in 2011--2.2ghz early w/750 hdd...and the 'late' 2011 2.4/16GB RAM and a Samsung 512 GB 830 ssd. I'm in the process of listing the early 2011 17" 2.2...as I've replaced it with the new rMBP...2.7/16/786. Absolutely, hands down the best, fastest, most efficient (7--8 hours of battery on a good day), and prettiest (the display is absolutely amazing) looking computer I've ever owned! Started in 1985 with an Apple IIe...some 25+ years later, I thought they'd have To wrestle the 17s out of my hand. No chance!

Once you make the switch, it's tough to go back to the lower resolution monitor. I'm back n forth between the 17 and new 15--as well as a pair of 23" ACDs with our 2009 MacPro. I'll be buying the new ACD when it's released with updated, hopefully USB 3 I/O.

Our main systems in the field are 21.5" iMacs. The 17s act as stand by audio computers, primary lighting control. The rMBP is going to be a perfect back up solution, as (1 of) the primary reason we use the iMacs instead of MBPs are my almost 42 year old eye sight. I need prescription reading glasses...so the 'larger' text in our software helps. However, with the retina displays on my iPhone, iPads and now our rMBPs...I'm able to read without glasses. With glasses, it's amazing the difference in 'sharpness'. And the 17s don't suck! For non retina devices, I think it's only bested by the 11" Air

????

A. The GPU is absolutely MORE than powerful enough!! It's an over clocked 650m that bests the 660 in a lot of tests...specifically because Apple played with the 'guts' and maximized it's performance. Hell, the iGPU powers the monitor just fine--the intel 4000! What in the world are you talking about?
    B. scrolling on web pages is just as visibly fluid and effortless as my 2011 17" 2.4ghz screamer! Are there websites that are poorly coded? Yes! Very few and far between...these MAY increase demand on the CPU and GPU. Facebook is the offender, as it's extremely dynamic. However, as a very casual user (I check in once a day usually), mountain lion definitely helped with these early 'issues'. It was software related...and will continue to be refined. Again, keep in mind...this is isolated to ONLY extremely dynamic content pages and crappily coded sites. Still maintaining 40-50 fps on the UI, this is hardly noticeable to the human eye in comparison to the traditional 60fps we see on non retina displays...not an issue and certainly if it bugs you because ou hang out on Facebook all day---AND you enjoy scrolling up and down as fast as possible...you can DL gfxCardStatus and turn on the 650! Right back to 60fps on Facebook and the 'crappily' coded sites

You've obviously no experience with the rMBP to name these two negatives (posted in early reviews based on Lion & the iGPU) as a factor in purchasing this computer

Believe me. I was set with my 17s from last year! I didn't want to love the rMBP this much;). But it's truly revolutionary when comes to portable computing.

It 'out crunches' codecs and transcodes different motion formats to ProRes damn near five times faster than my Mac Pro! Twice as fast as my 2011 17" 2.4/16gb RAM and Samsung 830!!! The Tubes said it best...“She's a Beauty”. That WAS The Tubes, right?

Really? Useless pixels that nobody asked for? Did you just join MR? If so, take a trip back in time. Just look up MBP retina. Or resolution.

You've obviously nothing to do with this computer. If you don't understand how the creative/engineering industries benefit from this type of computer, why respond? Again, I own the latest 17" (and the last) as well as the rMBP. I pay my mortgage with my computers. I run my business with my wife and 11 employees currently. It's absolutely mind blowing the speed and extra resolution these new computers add to our workflow. We use almost the entire 6.0 Creative suite from Adobe: Premier, After Effects, PS, LR, InDesign, Acrobat and Audition are open simultaneously, almost constantly. We also use Maya, Logic and FCPx and Studio (7). Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Aperture, a relatively new addition, is also used now by my wife. She prefers it to PS. Not sure which computer you're speaking of but it certainly not the rMBP...as this machine has far from a 'worthless display'. In fact, if you've actually seen or used one, I'd be willing to bet it's the most accurate display you've seen in your lifetime. Certainly one for sale to the general consumer population. To me, you're another on of the 15 year olds in your basement, feeding your spider, envious and pissed off because your mother said "Absolutely NOT!"

J

21. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

And I respectfully disagree, conventional diffusion film while reducing reflections brings crystalline effect and reduces the contrast. It is an incomplete solution by definition and should be redesigned. These threatened layers are only option to achieve true anti-glare because of the same reason all "business" laptops are stuck with 10-year old screen resolutions and TN technology.

Glossy vs. anti-glare totally depends on your personal preference and even the argument that expensive NECs and Eizos have mostly anti-glare treatment doesn't work here because, for example, all professional broadcast displays that Sony makes (and they're few times more expensive) have semi-glossy surface.

In fact, direct bonding of LCD panel is one of the most native ways to maximise image quality by reducing the number of layers. That's exactly what is done in rMBP and should become a standard.

22. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

Actually, rMBP's 2880x1800 panel is one of the few worthwhile screens that deserve to belong to 21st century tech. Others include rMBP's 2560x1600 13" panel and a 11"/13" full-hd IPS panels from Asus Zenbook Prime line.

23. DionysusTheVino, Nov 24, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012

DionysusTheVino macrumors newbie

Well done kid! You use FCPX, you must REALLY be a "pro"! Nobody on the professional level uses FCPX, it's a joke in the industry. However, supposedly you are I are in the same business. I've been an Avid editor and color grader for 20 years (FCP 10 yrs, Premiere 7 yrs). I use broadcast monitors, not laptop monitors. The extra res does nothing for my workflow, but bog down the GPU. All picture reference is independent of any laptop. If you're using your laptop as reference, what the hell are you doing trusting your "business" to pay your mortgage?

I owned the rMBP for several weeks before I decided it's drawbacks compared to the 17" were too much to deal with and returned the damned thing.

So, another 15 year old I am not, but thanks for your judgement.

Is there a lot of post production business in Alaska? Just curious. Try the East Coast and you'll have an idea of what dealing with tools in this business really means. People in Alaska may not give a crap about color grading and the like, but people in NYC, Boston, DC, etc do.

24. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Yes, I DID say that the current iteration needs work. So I agree on your points. It's not "there" yet, but this is the process to get it there.

25. John Morrow, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012

John Morrow macrumors newbie

MacMall 17" MacBook Pro

If you can live with your SATA 3 optical bay problem (as others have pointed out, you can get a 2-port USB3 ExpressCard/34 to solve that problem), MacMall has a blowout sale on their remaining stock of new 17" MacBook Pros, including the high-end anti-glare late-2011 model for (as of when I'm posting this -- I don't know how long this sale will last) $2,199.99 with a mail-in rebate and with over 1000 listed as being in stock. That's about $650 off their non-sale price.

Listed specs are:

Apple 17" MacBook Pro quad-core Intel Core i7 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 750GB 7200-rpm Hard Drive, Intel HD Graphics 3000 and AMD Radeon HD 6770M, SuperDrive, Thunderbolt port, Aluminum unibody, Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display (MD386LL/A)

http://www.macmall.com/n/MacBook-Pr...SEMGMACBKPRO&gclid=CK6kqr6b67MCFQqk4Aod0QIA1w

I've had reasonably good luck with MacMall and ordered one of these myself but I haven't gotten mine yet and your mileage may vary so please check into things yourself before ordering.

And for whatever it's worth, from what I've read, low sales were part of what killed the 17" MacBook Pro, so it's probably not a good idea to wait for a new 17" model.