MacBook Pro 17" MC373LL/A vs MacBook Pro 17" MC227LL/A

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rhino420, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Rhino420 macrumors member

*** dont flame me for another "which mbp do i buy"** I genuinely need help!
    So im ready to buy my new mbp I have decided to go for the 17 inch screen since A. I will be using it for photoshop, aperture, light room etc for my nikon d5000 that i got for xmass last year. I have learned alot of photography tricks and i want to start doing some neat post editing i dont have room for an imac so im going with the 17" for screen real estate only. I will also be using my new mbp Serato Itch since i am picking up dj ing too for to keep my occupied. (got to love the wife okaying these hobbies) anywho i found the core2duo 17mbp for $1500 and then 17 corei5 for $2050. Im tossed up on which one i should get. is there a big difference in the two. for the two major hobbies i listed do i need the core i5 over the core2duo ? the only real major differences i can see is that they have different graphics card right ? please some one help me !! thanks in advance

2. ccashman92 macrumors regular

If you are gonna be using all of those I recommend the faster which is obviously the i5. If I were you I would upgrade it to i7 for $200. And if you have the money to upgrade the RAM by yourself from OWC and get the 8GB RAM for $270ish.

3. advres Guest

advres

You don't NEED the i5. The core2duo will work fine for you if you would rather save the scratch. Get the c2d and load it up with RAM.

4. Rhino420 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the quick response!!...
    so the extra 600 bucks on the processor is really worth it? is the core2duo 2.83ghz really that inferior to the 2.53 i5 or the 2.6 i7? and for sure im planning on stepping up to the 8gb

5. advres Guest

advres

I have edited feature length tv shows on machines with much less oomph than that 2.83. It will absolutely be fine for what you are doing!

6. ccashman92 macrumors regular

It is that superior, i7 is a virtual quad-core (I'll try to find the link that explains it). Plus the graphic update which will be good for your part. I would also get the Hi-Res for $100-$150.

By the way, this is a suggestion. Don't go on my part only. Do your research!!

7. ccashman92 macrumors regular

This is true also. But if you want the speed and the security of Applecare, it is always nice to get a new or refurbed one from Apple.

8. Rhino420 thread starter macrumors member

yea most definitely this is doing my preliminary research i don't take you guys as the word of steve jobs ha ha !! that 1500 core2duo is so tempting !! im not to worried about the processor i was actually worried about the graphics card.

btw the core2duo is a brand new one from microcenter so im def. getting the applecare my old powerbook died 1year and a day after my warrenty was done and cost me 300 for a logic board so mad that day ha ha

9. advres Guest

advres

My $.02

The video card will work fine for what you are doing. My thoughts are that if you are trying to do more post work, saving that extra $500 and getting a kickass screen down the road is more important. Sure $500 more doesn't seem like a ton more money but when we are talking $1500 to $2000 that $500 is 33% more money. 33% is an awful lot percentage wise when you don't need it. But you will be happy with either any way you slice it!

10. Rhino420 thread starter macrumors member

that's how im seeing it... save the 500 in apply it to 8gb or ram or some other things i need along the road... like i said graphics cards were my only concern... can anyone give me insight in the differences in the graphics cards? i dont play games or watch movies on it so im assuming thats where it could come into play correct?

11. Rhino420 thread starter macrumors member

12. Rhino420 thread starter macrumors member

Can Anyone give me some more insight ? On original post ?