Macbook Pro 17" Mid 2009 or Macbook Pro 13" Current

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Animeonmymind, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Animeonmymind macrumors newbie

Hey,

I'm kind of doubting between two Macbooks and was hoping you guys could give me your opinion.

First I found a second hand Macbook Pro 17" 2009:

- 17-inch Macbook Pro 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo L2 cache 6MB shared / systembus 1066mhz
    - Precision aluminum unibody enclosure
    - 4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM; supports up to 8GB
    - 500GB Serial ATA - 5400 rpm
    - 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    - NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512MB graphics processor, and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory
    - Built-in iSight camera; Mini DisplayPort output port with support for DVI, VGA, and dual-link DVI
    - 17-inch (diagonal) high-resolution LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1920-by-1200 resolution

The asking price is €1300 or $1650 and the Macbook has been used for a year.

I was doubting between that one or the new Macbook Pro 13" 2.4Ghz:

- Macbook Pro 13" 2.4Ghz
    - Intel Core 2 Duo-processor
    - 4 GB Geheugen
    - 250-GB harde schijf1
    - SD card slot
    - Built-in 10 hour battery2
    - NVIDIA GeForce 320M grafische processor

This one costs €1100 or $1400 in Belgium.

What would you guys think gives me the best run for my money.?

Thanks!

What do you guys think is more worth for the money

2. TheralSadurns macrumors 6502

Hi.

It depends on what you want to have.

Performance AND value-wise the used 17" MacBook Pro is better. If you went for it I would consider an extended warranty though. Buying used machines can be tricky at times as you are without warranty.

Aside from that...
    a) do you NEED a 17" MacBook Pro with a 1980x1200res display? or would that be overkill?
    b) do you need to travel a lot with it, or is it rather a desktop-replacement (external display maybe) that you only have to carry once in a while?

Speaking for myself... I would get the 17" one if it is in a good condition. I use my MacBook Pro mainly as a desktop replacement and only have the occasional presentation/speech, but am also traveling between 2 houses. For me it comes down to carrying the book 2 times a week.
    I furthermore much appreciate the hi-res display of the 17" model, compared to the 1280x800 of the 13".

So in the end it is really up to you. Neither is a bad pick. Just keep in mind what you need
    big display vs. portability
    more power vs. portability
    used vs. brand spanking new

Regards

3. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Go for the 17" out of the two as is pound for pound a better machine. Providing it is in good condition, just my two cents. I have both and do not use the 13 at all.