Macbook Pro 17 Mid-2009 - USB 3.0 with express card?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gdourado, Jan 7, 2014.

1. gdourado macrumors 6502

gdourado

Hello,
    How are you?
    I am wondering if there is any express card 34 with USB 3.0 that works with a Mid-2009 2.8 C2D 17 Macbook pro.

Anyone have a setup like this running with no issues?

Cheers and thanks!

2. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

There's cards out there, but based on what the card is actually doing, there are always going to be "issues," especially depending on what you're trying to accomplish, and the associated hardware.

Did you see this card and this card?

You didn't mention your goal with a usb 3.0 adapter on an "old" macbook, but you may want to ask yourself if the trouble of one of these cards actually makes sense. If there's a binary purpose, i.e. a special USB 3.0 drive that you must absolutely connect to your notebook (because there's absolutely no other way to get the data to your notebook), then you obviously have to go for it. If you're trying to achieve a better level of data transfer performance or connectivity, I'd say it's doubtful. In summary, I don't see the USB 3.0 expresscard being ideal in much of any sense.

3. gdourado thread starter macrumors 6502

gdourado

Hi.
    The purpose would be exactly that. Faster data transfer speeds and access speeds to external hard drives.
    Would an e-sata express card be a better option?
    Or as you out it, better use FW800 or even USB 2 and save the trouble.

Cheers and thanks for your reply!

4. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

Why do you need faster transfer and access? I would look into an external firewire drive.