Macbook Pro 17 ordering...quick help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JasonR, Jun 8, 2009.

1. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Ok...I'm going out of town on Monday, and I need to buy a Notebook asap. I want to order the Macbook Pro 17"...but with a 7200 HD. Buying direct from Apple won't get the laptop to me in time....what are the chances that my local apple store will have one with a 7200 hard drive?

I know this has been argued time and again, but is the 17" that much more of a hassle to travel with than the 15"? I'm only buying the 17" for the resolution. 1440x900 kind of sucks on the 15 (I have a mid 2008 MBP 15" that's on eBay).

EDIT: Is the difference between 7200 and 5400 a big deal? My current MBP has a 7200. I plan on upgrading to a SSD when they're more affordable, but does replacing the HDD in the new MBPs void the warranty?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Non-zero. Call and ask?

It is significantly bigger. I found that the 17" didn't fit in my backpack nicely, which is something because my backpack isn't small.

It's a big enough difference to be noticeable, unlike processor speed bumps. I'm pretty sure the HDs in the new MBPs are user-replaceable, but I don't remember them specifically saying that...