Macbook pro 17" replacement screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brasiliangringo, Apr 17, 2009.

1. brasiliangringo macrumors regular

I recently applied too much cleaning pressure to the corner of my 2008 mbp screen and needed to consider replacing it. Fortunately the streak disappeared after four days or so.

For those in a terminal predicament I discovered the following from an independent servicer :

Apple do not manufacture LCD panels but buy them from 3 different manufacturers. I buy my panels directly from the same manufacturers so they are identical to those used by Apple.

I can fit a brand new matte 17" LED 1920 x 1200 panel for £299.

I know this is much cheaper than doing with Apple directly. I also found a number of replacement screens on Ebay and perhaps knowing there are 3 manufactures (Lg, Samsung and Chimei) will make it easier to establish if its genuine..

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Well, anyone can buy a replacement panel cheaper than from Apple, but actually installing it is an entirely different animal. On most Apple notebooks, you have to almost completely disassemble the machine. Plus, the data cable that connects the screen to the logic board is fragile and tricky to route.

It's not for the faint of heart, even for those with computer repair experience. But if you have delicate hands and lots of patience, it can be done.