MacBook Pro 17'' Sandy Bridge- Screen Strange Horizontal lines in bright colors

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kosimo, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Kosimo macrumors newbie

Hello guys,

I've just got my new Flagrant MacBook Pro 17'' Sandy Bridge i7 2.3Ghz 8GB SSD512 and is amazing.... But...

I am incredibly disappointed with the quality of the screen (or maybe the videocard?) I come from the previous generation MacBook Pro i7 15inches and the quality of the screen was superb. Now on this new 17'' screen I see some wired horizontal (very tiny) lines in bright colors (very difficult to notice by an untrained, not to hock to perfection eye). This was actually the first thing I saw when booting my mac for the first time as the gray apple appeared not to have a perfect gray color. First thing I did was going to an Apple Retail store we have here in Barcelona (Catalonia) and strangely the MacBook that was in there had a very similar issue. Is not something you can easily notice, but if you look close to the screen you can see this lines. I am not really an expert, so I don't know if this could be a problem of the videocard (does ATI cards have less image quality than nVIdia?) or is a reduction of quality of the 17'' screen compared to the 15''?

I am very annoyed by this, and I am considering to return my laptop as I'm really not getting used to it. Does anybody know if this affects all new MacBook Pro's 17''?

I'll try to get a camera with a macro to upload a picture and give you an example.

Thank you guys.

2. huythanhv2 macrumors regular

Maybe your eyes got heap better that you need a retina display on Macbook now so you can't actually see a line of pixels (j/k)

Anyway r u having anti glare or glossy? It's easier to spot the pixels on AG screen imo.

3. Kosimo thread starter macrumors newbie

ahahah... Not bad at all... But even if I have an iPhone 4, the quality drop I noticed was when comparing it with the previous generation i7 15 inches.

My screen is glossy by the way

4. Kosimo thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello Guys.

I've got the a replacement and the image is a bit better, even if those strange lines still appears in some 3D games or movies just in some colors.

Anybody here has a Early 2011 MacBook Pro 17 inches?