MacBook Pro 17" screen replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TorbenSauer, Jun 15, 2012.

1. TorbenSauer macrumors newbie

I have a one year old MacBook PRo 17". On the way to the hospital (we got a nice baby girl) I damaged my laptop on the outside of the screen - can still use it but has strange colors on the left part so replacement is needed...or maybe not.

I contacted the local Apple aut-repart shop, the refused to tell the prize of the replacement - requested a 40Euro check to verify the damage, told it's Apple's policy.

What do you think a 17" screen replacement would cost? (in europe)

best regards

2. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

I don't know, but I seem to recall screens are pretty pricey. Never had one end up needing repair that wasn't under warranty, though.

I seem to recall that they have that "charge for even looking at it" thing here, too. Generally damage like that won't be covered by warranty, but I think that the 40 eur will then count towards a repair if you get one -- but check with them.

3. TorbenSauer thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have a problem with the charge, if they do real work to find an issue. But here is clear, I smashed the back side of the screen and replacement is the only option. I fear it's 1000 Euro (with Apple's price scheme), as this would push for a discussion whatever it's worth for a one year old laptop. Warranty is not a subject, I damaged it.

Other with a price guess?

4. TorbenSauer thread starter macrumors newbie

Anybody else with an estimate for screen replacement, I can be the only one who done this?

5. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

I don't know, I haven't seen that many. I don't think I've ever done a screen replacement that wasn't under warranty on ANY laptop, and I've gone through a lot over the years.