Macbook Pro 17" Screen replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Danyk, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Danyk macrumors newbie

Working on the plane coming home and managed to crack the screen on the right side. Ive been looking to see how much it would be to replace the screen or repair (i think its not repairable) but cant find any proper prices. Has anyone got a rought estimate on how much it would usually cost?

Nearly cried when i saw it :mad:

Thanks,

Dany k

2. TomGolden macrumors member

TomGolden

I have the first gen Core Duo MBP 17" glossy, and a couple of months ago it got bumped off my desk at home while running, hit the floor... screen got smashed. I called AppleCare, they said accidental damage is not covered, and quoted me $1240 plus $100 labor for them to replace the display. No idea if a newer MBP would be higher cost or not.

I thought about looking around on eBay or whatnot to buy another identical model, since the current 17" MBP hasn't yet been updated (or else I would just have bought a brand new MBP), and then thought that for my needs, an external display would be the better, and much cheaper solution. This way, when i do buy a shiny new MBP in 2009(?) I will still have an awesome external display that I can use with that MBP rather than having spent $$ on an old and outdated MBP that I would still replace within the next 8 - 12 months.