Macbook Pro 17" scrolling flicker

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sketchr, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

I just bought my first mac , yay! Have only used pcs.

But the problem is that I'm seeing a horizontal line flicker when I scroll with the trackball. It doesn't happen when I scroll using the arrow key or during video so far.

I just bought it last week. Is this commom? It's annoying as heck for such a spendy machine. Should I exchange it or will it happen on another machine too?

2. ssdar macrumors member

I also have this horizontal flickering somethines it disappears but when it occurs its with fast scrolling on my uMBP with both 9400m/9600GT. It also a problem on my Mac Pro with 8800GT, not with the Ati2600HD. So maybe it has something to do with poor nvidia drivers.

3. Sound Evolution macrumors 6502

I have the same on my MBP 17"

It don't bother me though. As long it don't flicker with fixed imaged, and that is not the case.

With best regards,
    Bas

4. Sketchr thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, talked to a mac genius and few things reduced this problem for me. I'm a new mac user so I also learned a few other things.

I turned off Develop.
    I widened my window some on safari (this is where I was experiencing the flicker)
    Activated the one touch click on the trackpad.

So far so good. Hope it is gone. This machine rocks!

5. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

The screen flicker is a known problem with the webkit. You can do a search here and find many posts about this flicker. Last post I read here about this flicker talked about that osx 10.6 should have this fixed. Let's hope so.