Macbook Pro 17" Sleep and wake patterns?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gloves, Feb 23, 2008.

1. gloves macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I'm a recent switcher from Windows and have recently tried out the sleep function for the Macbook Pro 17" laptop by closing the lid and opening it again.

I just wanted to know if it is normal that when closing the lid and letting the MBP sleep for a long period of time e.g. a few hours or overnight, that it is normal that when you open the lid and the MBP wakes that the screen remains blank for about a minute before coming back on?

If I close the lid and let the MBP sleep for a short period of time (I've only tried closing the lid, letting the MBP sleep - light pulses) and then opening the lid back up again, the screen comes back to life almost immediately.

I wanted to know if this was the common pattern for everyone?

Thanks for your answers.

2. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

The first scenario you describe is not normal, it should wake up right away. I had a similar issue when running Azereus, if I left it running, the computer would not wake up, and I'd have to power it off and turn it back on.

3. gloves thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for letting me know. So in general when the MBP is put to sleep, whenever it is woken up - regardless of how long it has been put to sleep for (whether that be by opening the screen back up or just pressing a key or something), the screen display should appear almost immediately?

Well, I only had Safari open when I did put it to sleep. I wonder why it only appears to occur when it's been asleep for a long period of time? I tried putting it to sleep for a couple of hours and then came back and opened the lid up and the display appeared almost immediately. So it seems that it's only when it's been asleep overnight? I guess I'll give it a go with no Safari running overnight and see if that makes a difference.

Anyone else have similar or differing experiences?