Macbook Pro 17" storage and hard drive questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by alskdj, Mar 18, 2010.

1. alskdj macrumors member

Hi guys, my MBP arrived today, and I'm have a few questions regarding it.

Firstly: storage. How do you carry yours around/have any recommendations? I'll be using it to attend college, and from my past experiences, notebook sling bags don't seem to be very comfortable for me (weight being distributed on one shoulder hurts like hell for me).

Secondly: hard drive. I'll be replacing the stock hard-drive with an Intel V-series SSD, and plan to convert the replaced hard drive into an external for data storage. Do I need to wipe it or can I leave the OS on there? Just in case I encounter any problems, and need to send it for repairs, swapping the original hard drive back in with OS and files all intact would be great.

Thanks

2. mackpro macrumors member

mackpro

I've been using the 17" Unibody MacBook Pro since June and also used the previous generation 17". As a college student, I have been using the following gear to protect my machine on a daily basis.
    • The North Face Borealis 17" Laptop Backpack
      -This bag is nothing short of AMAZING, it has allowed me to walk in the rain numerous times with my 17" on board. It has room for the 17" and a couple text books + a notebook or two. It has everything you'd expect, including a hole for a headphone cable which is engineered to not allow water to enter.
    • Incase Neoprene Sleeve Plus I've used the Incase Neoprene Sleeves since about 2003, and I'll never quit until they stop making them. It provides an additional layer of security, as you can put the 17" in this while it is in the backpack.
    • Incase MacBook Pro Hard Shell Case
      -The hardshell not only looks awesome (I have green) but it protects your beauty from day to day scratches and dings. It has excellent build quality and I would NEVER recommend the SPECK cases, as they allow dirt to get under the crappy plastic. Incase makes their shell with matte textured rubber and does a great job protecting.
    • KB Covers ClearSkin Ultra-Clear Keyboard Protector
      -A top-of-the-line laptop like the Unibody MacBook Pro deserves keyboard protection. It prevents oils from your fingers from permanently damaging the keys with marks. Also, it prevents any potential spills from penetrating the keyboard. This is the best keyboard protector money can buy, as it is extremely thin and you can barely tell it is there. (Sounds like a condom ad)

-As far as hard drives go, I would go with the Acomdata Tango enclosure which will allow you to boot into OS X via USB or eSata. It's easy to open, so you'll be able to drop the drive in your MacBook pro with ease.

3. alskdj thread starter macrumors member

Hey, thanks for the advice. Wow that's alot of protection. :p Will look into the first two products. I had an incase hardshell once on my 13" unibody macbook, although it did a pretty good job at protecting the MB, I found that the maximum angle I could open it was severly limited. Do you experience the same problem? Also regarding the enclosure, will I need some sort of expresscard adapter for eSata to work?

4. mackpro macrumors member

mackpro

I find that the maximum angle is probably reduced by about 7º and as for the eSata.. you will need an expresscard adapter. However, USB 2.0 is perfectly bootable and will possibly do just fine.
    • an eSata adapter like this will do just fine

5. sriram23 macrumors newbie

Question for mackpro

Mackpro,

Thanks a lot for your detailed post. It was super helpful. I also just bought a 17" unibody MacBook Pro. I had a quick question for you. I bought a 17" InCase Neoprene Sleeve, and I really like it, but it doesn't fit in very many of the backpacks I was looking at. You suggested the Northface Borealis backpack.

I saw some pictures of the Borealis (http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/borealis.html) and the Surge (http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/surge_2.html) backpacks. For your Borealis, do you know if the 17" Neoprene Sleeve (with 17" MacBook inside) fits in the laptop subsection without being too tight a squeeze?

I'm also considering the InCase Nylon Backpack (http://store.apple.com/us/product/TW219ZM/A?mco=MTA5MjU0NjA).

Thanks so much for your advice!

SriRam23