Macbook Pro 17" storage and hard drive questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alskdj, Mar 18, 2010.

1. alskdj macrumors member

Hi guys, my MBP arrived today, and I'm have a few questions regarding it.

Firstly: storage. How do you carry yours around/have any recommendations? I'll be using it to attend college, and from my past experiences, notebook sling bags don't seem to be very comfortable for me (weight being distributed on one shoulder hurts like hell for me).

Secondly: hard drive. I'll be replacing the stock hard-drive with an Intel V-series SSD, and plan to convert the replaced hard drive into an external for data storage. Do I need to wipe it or can I leave the OS on there? Just in case I encounter any problems, and need to send it for repairs, swapping the original hard drive back in with OS and files all intact would be great.

Thanks

2. Trek2100 macrumors 6502a

Trek2100

I use a Brenthaven over the shoulder case but it is bulky. Apple's website shows a backpack case for the 17":

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/notebook_cases?mco=MTM3NjczNDg

I'm sure there are other styles that would meet your needs.

This is just my opinion. If you are going to replace your internal drive and use it as an external storage device then just wipe it and use Time Machine to backup your MBP onto it. You could leave the OS on it since the TM backups are dated, for lack of a better term, files, so it would not interfere with the OS files but whats the point? You have the install disks and TM backs up everything thats on your internal drive including system files. Other's may disagree and thats okay too.

3. lostime macrumors regular

I use a northface computer backpack, two straps, pretty comfortable.

If you want to keep it as a boot drive then go into disk utility and create another partition out of the free space on the drive, name it "storage" or something and use this partition for......well storage. Then if you needed to boot from the original partition just hook it up with a USB/fw enclosure and hold the option key or swap it internally.

Time machine is a good option also.

4. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

I have a Crumpler Belly XL for my 17" MBP. Its very strong and comfortable, and has space like a 747 on your back. Funny thing is the heavier you make the bag (till about ~12 kgs) the better it feels on your back. The back rest and straps have thick padding which is very gentle.

Also, it comes with a water resistant sleeve (whole thing goes into the bag) so you can store your notebook in it while carrying it around in short distances, eg. to different seminar halls, during a presentation etc.

[​IMG]

As for your HD, you could either use it to store your OS on it (remember to update the backup regularly), or you could use it completely as external storage.

You have an ExpressCard slot. If it fits in your budget, you could buy a Sonnet / SanDisk Express 3/4 SDHC card reader and a fast enough 16 GB SD card and have your OS backed up in it. Something goes wrong, you plug it in and boot up for emergency. Then you won't have to dedicate OS space to your external HDD.

5. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

Use a regular backpack. Sling bags are passe! (and uncomfortable)

6. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

7. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I have an incase backpack. It's pretty big, can carry a text book or two. Uses both shoulders. Even when packed it has lots of support and feels good provided you put the straps right. It's awful if the straps are too long and the weight shifts lower.

Though I got to say I don't think a 17" is very practical to carry to class. I hate carrying it around. The only time I tried doing so was at a conference (as close to a college type setting where you move from one room to another). I gave up after two days. In fact I was envious of the people with iPhones who could browse the web without having to carry around all that baggage for the day (this lead me to getting my own iPhone shortly there after)

Back when I was in college I had a 15" PowerBook and I would put it in a neoprene sleeve and just toss it in my normal book bag. I could carry more books/notes that way then I could with my normal laptop bag which was pretty minimal. Worked out well.

8. Apollo7011 macrumors member

Slings are terrible, I know personally. I had one and carried my laptop around w/ books and **** for a year and a half in one. I recently bought :
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/T...fnode=MTY1NDA2Ng&mco=MTA4MjU1ODg&s=topSellers
    and love it. It doesn't look too big, but has TONS of room for storage, I could practically live out of my backpack. Not to mention it's pretty cool looking, and the shoulder straps are extremely comfortable, also is extremely sturdy. I can honestly say its one of the best investments i've made.