Macbook Pro 17" Superdrive rejecting CD's

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Feller, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Feller macrumors newbie

Hey guys. I did a serach and saw some other threads about this pertaining to models from last year, but I got my Macbook Pro this summer from a friend, he had it for a month and then got deployed and did not want to take it overseas so he sold it to me.

Anyway the superdrive seems to be quite fickle when accepting CD's. It has no problem with DvD's but often when a CD is inserted the drives spins, then stops, clicks a few times, and then will eject the CD. I tried a variety of CD's and the only ones it seems to accept are blank CD'Rs and it is burning fine it appears.

So is the best bet to take it to the Apple Store and have the drive replaced? If so how long does that take, if anyone has a similar experience, and also does the applecare have to be transferred or will the people at the store not care about that? Thanks in advance for the advice/help.

2. MKnight macrumors regular

MKnight

The optical drive on my Macbook Pro went south after just 3 months and I had the same problems as you. Replacing it takes 1 hour of labour so go get that done asap.

3. steveyg777 macrumors newbie

Hi, what about if u r out of warranty? Can I fix it somehow? Restore the firmware or something? Calling all electronic and software experts to the rescue!!!!

4. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

so this is the pre unibody design MBP17 ?

some optical drives are pretty picky when it comes to certain media...have you tried Verbatim or Memorex CD-R or CD-RWs?
    i was recently doing some dvd burning on my unibody 17" and it was hit or miss with the various media i tried..event rying them on other optical drives it was hit or miss...more so the media.

on pre-unibodies it will take significantly longer atleast an hour.

if youre out of warranty places like OWC may have some other research NewEgg or eBay. DIY is fairly easy but it takes patience.