Macbook Pro 17" Unibody display issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ti Fighter, May 20, 2009.

1. Ti Fighter macrumors newbie

I am going a little nuts here. I am now waiting to receive my 4th replacement (5th machine) 17" CTO glossy from apple. All 4 machines have had display issues.

#1 8 dead pixels
    #2 5 dead pixels + two grey spots
    #3 2 dead pixels + one white spot
    #4 1 white spot.

I can't have this much bad luck, there must be something up with the manufacturing processes... I even checked out a display machine in the NYC Soho store that had a white spot and pointed it out to one of the sales guys.

Apple support has been great about doing the exchanges (+ case and $50) but this is crazy, it wastes my time and their money.

Do 17" screens exist that don't have issues? Please tell me it's true...

2. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Demand an anti-glare. That shouldn't have a problem.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

woahzer... seems like a big batch of defective LCD's too me. Just keep trying bro and you might end up with keeeper, hehe.

4. Ti Fighter thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking about doing that but why it would be free from issues of this type... Forgetting about the light bleed issues I read about people having with the antiglare, that's one of the reason I did not opt for it originally.

5. UniPro macrumors regular

UniPro

It is certainly abnormal to go through that amount of defective screen (although MR would lead most people to believe other wise. lol) So all I can say is hopefully your next screen will be better and that the matte option may also be a good bet.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I wonder if all those screens the OP has returned go directly to the refurb batch, or do they fix 'em?

7. Ti Fighter thread starter macrumors newbie

I was on the phone with them for about an hour today, they tried to figure out if they are able to check a machine before they send it to me, turns out it's impossible. You would think though if these issues are valid for an exchange they would not have gotten by QA at the factory, if there is QA anymore...

They said if the next machine has a problem they could set it up so I take it to an apple store and they would do a screen swap, but that does not sound like a great option. Guess I'll try for the antiglare if this does not work out...

Thanks for the support, fingers crossed.

8. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

isnt the saying "5th times a charm":p

but i think you are just unlucky. when i ordered my really good headphones i had to exchange it 6 times before i got a pair that werent defective. hang in there.