Macbook Pro (17" unibody) replacement screws?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mactagonist, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

Somewhere, at some point, I lost a screw from the optical drive. I am sure it happened when I was installing or removing the optical bay hard drive enclosure that lives there now. Unfortunately, my keyboard backlight is acting up and I will need to drop it off at Apple soon. Thus, I need to restore it to a stock look.

I am missing the screw that is directly in front of the slot loading mechanism, closest to the hinge. The Macbook Pro is Apple model A1297 or MB604LL/A depending on which model number you prefer! :)

Does anyone know where to buy this part? ifixit has a $50+ dollar complete screw set. Ideally I would like to avoid that when I only need a $0.00001 piece of metal...

2. Mactagonist thread starter macrumors 65816

No one? :(

anyone in a similar situation want to split the cost of the ifixit screw set?

3. Hopsdaballa04 macrumors regular

I think your best bet is to call your local apple authorized service provider. They usually can order whatever screws you need and don't even require a S/N or anything. Good luck.

4. fluffyx macrumors 6502

I don't think Apple will mind if it's missing one screw. Just be very careful as to how you put the computer back together.

If you opt for a mail-in repair, the repair center may even install a new screw for you :)!

5. Mactagonist thread starter macrumors 65816