MacBook Pro 17" Unibody - Stuck left fan?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by uberamd, Sep 10, 2009.

1. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I just got my 17" Unibody MBP which is an amazing machine. First thing I do is of course install iStat Pro. For some reason it is reporting the left fan at 0 RPM. Uh?

So I install SMC Fan Control, and make a setting to ramp up both fans to 6,000 RPM. What happens? Left fan: 0 RPM. Uh...

Occasionally the left fan will report 1000 RPM, but then it goes back down to 0. Is this normal? I was doing a time machine backup and the temp cranked up to 176 F and the left fan was still at 0 while the right fan was going good. I cant figure out if this is normal (IE the left fan only cools video and cannot be manually controlled) or if its defective.

Can anyone else weigh in?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I'd call Apple (1-800-MY-APPLE) and ask them. If the fan isn't turning, it needs to be fixed now before something else is damaged from overheating.

(Normally the computer will shut down automatically if it starts to overheat, but you can't be too careful. Hard drives in particular have their upper temperature limit at 55-60ºC, and going over that can drastically shorten their lives.

3. uberamd thread starter macrumors 68030

uberamd

I talked to Apple a few hours ago. To make the process less painful, I performed a hardware diagnostic before calling and the hardware diagnostic program reported an error with the Left fan. Not surprised.

Apple said it needs to be taken into a repair place. Crap. While I have a Authorized repair center on my college campus, I can't really be without my laptop since classes just started and a laptop is required. I am going to talk with the service guys and see if they can order the part, etc while I keep using the system (since temps stay low anyway, currently CPU is at 113F and everything else is double digits) and just bring it in for fixing once the parts arrive to minimize my time without the system.

The system isn't running hot or anything, my MacBook Air is MUCH hotter with functional fans, so I am not too concerned about the heat but I do want it fixed asap. Besides this, I am loving my new 17" UMBP.

Hopefully they are fine with that.

4. uberamd thread starter macrumors 68030

uberamd

Just thought I would share a positive experience with Apple. I sent sjobs an email outlining some of the poor experiences I have been having with my last 2 Apple laptops (MacBook Air, MacBook Pro 17") and how they both had immediate issues out of box.

Nicely he asked me if it was OK for Apple to replace my 2.66GHz 320GB HD 17" Refurb Pro with a 2.8GHz, 500GB HD 17" NEW MacBook Pro. I of course gratefully said "Yes!" They are sending me the replacement once my Authorized Service Center verifies they are in possession of my defective 17" lappy.

Thank you Apple for resolving this issue beyond my expectations. I sent the email to sjobs in hopes to just bring attention to the fact that my last 2 refurbs have had out of box issues, and Apple treated me great and is solving this problem beyond my expectations on all levels.

Thanks again Apple! This is why they are my favorite company. Their support is top notch, and they value you as a customer.

5. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Thats practically unheard of this day in age. Kudo's to Apple. :apple: