MacBook Pro 17" Unibody - Wake Issues: Partial waking but no display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FocusAndEarnIt, Feb 24, 2010.

1. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

Hey everyone,

I'm having a serious issue here. It's very intermittent which makes it very difficult to "treat."

Every once and a while, I put my MacBook Pro (17" Unibody, 2009, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD 5400) to sleep and when I go to wake it up, you can hear the hard drive spinning up and you can feel the fans (not running fast at all; normal) if you put your hand by the vent... but no display. When I close the screen again, the pulsing light just stays steady. The hard drive and the fans continue to go. They never stop. It's happened ten times in the past month and it's driving me insane. I've found it in the Console, take a look here -- click for large version.
    [​IMG]

What are your thoughts? What does this mean?
    The only way I can get back to my computer is if I force shut down my computer. I've damaged the hierarchy of files by doing that (spotlight has had to reindex, sometimes I've had to boot up off my Snow Leopard disk and run disk utility to get it back to working).

I have reset the SMC and PRAM. It didn't fix it. Again, it happens so intermittently that I can never point out what causes it, if anything in particular does.

I'm about to sell my computer and I really need to get this fixed. Thoughts, anybody?

2. Surely Guest

Surely

Are you sure that the screen isn't on at all? Can you see a really, really faint outline of your desktop (or whatever was on the screen before you put it to sleep)?

Perhaps you have a loose display connector?

3. FocusAndEarnIt thread starter macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

4. FocusAndEarnIt thread starter macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

I've reinstalled Mac OS X and it just did it. Any thoughts?

5. FocusAndEarnIt thread starter macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

I realize I'm raising this thread from the death...

However, if someone were to know how I solved the problem because they searched the forums...

The logic board had to be replaced. It's not a software issue. It's a rather rare issue, but it does pop up every once in a while. (I read a few cases of it online)