Macbook pro 17" vs macbook pro 15" unibody

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nokia n90, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Nokia n90 macrumors newbie

Hi
    This is my firsth reply on this forum but i have been reading it a lot :).
    I am in a big dillema right now,there is a stock clearing of penryn macbook pros 17" version(2.5Ghz,250gb HDD,2Gb ram,non hi-res display):D,it costs just as much as a new 2.4 stock unibody mbp.I like te design of the old one,perfomance wise i know there is a very small difference,but the only thing stopping me from buying the 17" is the new unibody construction of the 15" version.The new one feels much sturdier and much more durable.I hope you could help me deal with my dilemma,because this 17" seems like a pretty good deal for macintosh prices in my country.
    Thx in Advance

2. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Which do you value more?

Screen real estate

OR

GPU performance.

That's basically what is boils down to.

3. xoggyux macrumors 6502

ah... get the new one, first is the last model :D
    second when you using it as a portable, the smaller the better
    and third, even if you don't think you going to do it, you will probably find yourself buying an external monitor (hopefully 22"++) to your new computer (or HDTV who knows.)

4. Nokia n90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dilemma

Thx for fast reply,the size or the graphic performance isn't that important to my only concern is quality.I see thet the dented lid is present on alll macbook pros and things like that.I dont know how common these things are:confused:

5. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

The old ones have defective videocards and apple is only covering their failure for 2 years from purchase. Case closed, get the new one :D

6. wil49 macrumors member

Get the unibody:
    1. better case
    2. glass track pad and its larger
    3. Better access to the HDD
    4. 17" can be too much, its a laptop dont forget
    5. No messing about with the lid catch system (its catch less uses magnets)
    6. Side loading CD slot, so if its on your lap its convenient
    7. Multi touch track pad
    8. Newer faster DDR3 ram

7. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

DDR3 isn't really faster due to more latency, but I'd still go for the newer Machine.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That's certainly one factor, although with AppleCare, he'd be covered for 3 years regardless.

The other concern for me is the display. It's the non-high resolution version, so really, you gain 240 horizontal pixels and 150 vertical pixels in resolution by going with the 17" MBP. However, but you also gain 2" diagonally, a larger footprint, weight, and an older CCFL backlit screen that will fade horribly after 2 years of use. :eek: LED is far better.

Plus you may be limited by what bags and backpacks you can carry it in. There's not much to gain from getting the 17" except a bit of resolution, I guess.

I'm thinking of getting a new 17" MBP myself, but to me, the 1920x1200 resolution is enough to justify the extra size of the machine. Well that and the matte option.

9. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Ya then hands down get the unibody just because it's newer.

10. Nokia n90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks for the replies i decided to buy a unibody model but i dont know if it is better to buy a 15"+ external monitor or the 17".The size of it really doesn't bother me.

11. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

if thats what you are trying to decide btw 17" and 15" with a display buy the 15" and the 24" ACD. they are a great pair.