Macbook pro 17" which disk and ram?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by markobb, Feb 12, 2013.

1. markobb macrumors newbie

I have macbook pro 17" 2007 year non unibody, i want to upgrade disk and i dont know what type of disk is inside, i think is Sata or what and pc and mac disk are probably the same, couse pc disk are more often on the market? Sata2 and 3 can also be installed?

I want to upgrade ram too, to 4GB and i need if i am correct DDR2 677mhz and i am wondering if i can put inside ddr2 1067mhz which is more often available. DDR3 probably cannot be physically inserted?

2. simsaladimbamba

A 17" MBP can accept any 2.5" S-ATA HDD or SSD with a maximum height of 12.5 mm, HDDs will not even saturate the S-ATA 1.5 Gbps (S-ATA I) interface, thus an S-ATA 3.0 Gbps (S-ATA II) or S-ATA 6.0 Gbps (S-ATA III) HDD is actually not faster using a faster S-ATA interface.

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
    • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

For RAM, you have to use 200-pin DDR2 SO-DIMM RAM modules, DDR3 SO-DIMM modules will not fit physically.
    I do not know about the 1067 MHz part though. MRoogle might help with that.

3. markobb, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013

markobb thread starter macrumors newbie

tnx for info.

How about ram, does it needs to be only original apple or it can also be from other laptops?

So i need someone who has experience with putting 1067Mhz ddr2 ram in to this MBP and that setup will work. I know that speed in this case wouldnt be 1067Mhz but this ram modules is more often on the market for purchasing.

4. TallGuyGT macrumors regular

TallGuyGT

I've always purchased RAM upgrades from Crucial.com and have never had any issues. They have a configurator which tells you what RAM you machine takes and what they offer. Upgrading RAM on that machine is very easy, I had one of that vintage.

5. markobb thread starter macrumors newbie

I was mistaken the facts, i am asking for ddr2 PC 6400 ram wich is ddr2 and 800mhz if someone has experiance that this setup work in that MBP of mine.