Macbook Pro 17"

d1cee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2014
Hi,

My friend has a Macbook Pro 17", *Macbook Pro 8.3*

He wants me to replace the hard drive for him but I am not sure as to what size goes directly in there.

Plenty of guides on how to replace it, I've no issue here and I building computers all the time.

What i need to know is what size will fit in there and if anyone can recommend an SSD to go in there?

Many Thanks

d1cee.

d1cee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2014
does it matter as to the type of Sata connector? as I know its a few years old the 17"

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Any 9,5 mm 2,5" drive is going to fit perfectly (alternatively, you can use a 7mm drive with a spacer)
The spacer is not necessary on a MacBook Pro. The small bracket with the two crosshead screws you need to remove to get the hard drive out is enough to keep a 7mm drive in place securely.

does it matter as to the type of Sata connector? as I know its a few years old the 17"
All SATA ports are backward compatible. Since the one you're working on is a 2011 model, a SATA III/6Gb/s drive will work out of the box at its maximum speed.

d1cee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2014
ok brilliant, i won't need any spacers for it, and should be plug in and play, after cloning for sure?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.