Macbook Pro 17"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by d1cee, Jun 24, 2014.

1. d1cee macrumors newbie

Hi,

My friend has a Macbook Pro 17", *Macbook Pro 8.3*

He wants me to replace the hard drive for him but I am not sure as to what size goes directly in there.

Plenty of guides on how to replace it, I've no issue here and I building computers all the time.

What i need to know is what size will fit in there and if anyone can recommend an SSD to go in there?

Many Thanks

d1cee.

2. innominato5090 macrumors 6502

innominato5090

Any 9,5 mm 2,5" drive is going to fit perfectly (alternatively, you can use a 7mm drive with a spacer)

As far as which drive to put in, I'd suggest you to go with whatever the wirecutter suggests: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-ssds/

3. d1cee thread starter macrumors newbie

does it matter as to the type of Sata connector? as I know its a few years old the 17"

4. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

The spacer is not necessary on a MacBook Pro. The small bracket with the two crosshead screws you need to remove to get the hard drive out is enough to keep a 7mm drive in place securely.

All SATA ports are backward compatible. Since the one you're working on is a 2011 model, a SATA III/6Gb/s drive will work out of the box at its maximum speed.

5. d1cee thread starter macrumors newbie

6. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

That will work nicely. The EVO is a great drive for the money.

7. d1cee thread starter macrumors newbie

ok brilliant, i won't need any spacers for it, and should be plug in and play, after cloning for sure?

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yep clone the current drive swap it out and boot it up, should work perfectly.