MacBook Pro 17in early 2011 - GPU issue or non-issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by webdevfreak, Jun 19, 2014.

1. webdevfreak macrumors newbie

Well I have a 2011 17in MacBook Pro early 2011. The machine has run flawlessly and it's upgraded to 16Gigs of RAM and a 750Gigs SSD. I didn't get any of the GPU issues but with AppleCare about to expire I'm getting a bit worried seeing all the threads on the Radeogate etc.

1) Is there a way to test or stress test to see if the machine is a candidate that could fail?

2) Are there lots of people like me who didn't get any issues yet?

I know this seems to have been talked about tons but this is my first Apple Product (in many) that I don't have too much confidence about.

2. dextr3k macrumors 6502

There is really no way to tell. If you have not been experiencing any problems, then you are still OK for now. However, unless you open up the machine and look at the solders to see if they are cracked, theres really no way to tell.

My advice, if you have no confidence in your machine, sell it. Apple products tend to retain their value very well. Take that money and invest it in a new rMBP or something else. If you keep your machine, then you understand the risks.

My thoughts is that for every person that complains, there are 100 people that have perfectly fine working machines. If my toilet works perfectly, I'm not going on the toilet forums to say my xx year xx model toilet is working fine. But if it cracks and leaks feces everywhere, you can be damned sure someone is going to hear about it.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

:D

Good idea on selling. But don't sell a toilet used.... Those don't hold the value well.