Macbook Pro 17in

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jwink444, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Jwink444 macrumors member

Hello everyone.

I'm coming from the PC world.

Currently the specs on the new apple 17 model are:

17-inch : 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB memory
    500GB hard drive
    ExpressCard/34 slot
    Built-in 7-hour battery
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB

I'm not going to be using this computer for heavy gaming or video making. I will however be using it to trade stocks daily( need the extra screen space or id go with a 15in). So i need it to have some power behind it.

Is it worth me waiting for the new INTC processors to be put in this notebook or would you say this is more than powerful to handle my needs? i will have to install Windows on this as well as most trading programs wont run on a mac.

I can prolly wait till January but i was curious if folks believed those new processors were really going to change the face of the notebook.

Thanks for your time.

TraderJ

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The next update will likely not be until late January or February. The machine in a current state will definitely handle your needs.

3. Jwink444 thread starter macrumors member

4. Thomas Davie macrumors 6502

Depends on whether or not you are going to be running Windows in Bootcamp (native speed), or virtualised (Parallels 4 pretty good, version 5 coming soon or VMWare Fusion 3 pretty good, version 4 coming in a week). Also, I would upgrade to either the 7200 rpm drive or an SSD if you are going to be running a lot of stock projections in the background. But yeah, this is more than enough horsepower to handle what you want.

Tom