Macbook Pro 17inch mic not working after RMA

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Athonline, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Athonline macrumors member

I got my Macbook Pro 17inch (early 2011) back from Apple (they had to replace the logic board) 3 days ago, I had a terrible experience as the genious who gave me my solid state disk for safekeeping lost my disk's brackets thus I had to wait 2 more hours in the store until they find one from another machine, so they can put my SSD back. All these after 10 days of waiting for the repair.

Today however I finally found time to use it and I noticed some weird sounds, like somehting is moving within the mac 1-2 times, even if I have no mechanical parts other than the fans, but my real issue at the moment is that my microphone is not working.

I can see the mic in the System Info however and in Audio Midi Setup. In the Audio Midi Setup I see that the master chanel is turned off and I can't turn in on. Ch 1 and 2 are on full. I also noticed the first seconds after the comp. boots the blue bar goes to the middle in the System Preferences -> Sound -> Input. Any ideas what to do or try?

I do not want to go back to the apple store as it is more than 50 minutes away from here and I need my laptop as a computer science student, so RMA it is out of the question until my exams are done. Everything else is working perfectly, in fact better than before (temps and noise level of fans).

2. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Just to be sure, in the sound preferances is the "Internal microphone" selected? Next up if it is do you see any change in the input level?

Attached Files:

3. Athonline thread starter macrumors member

It selected. No changes at all, I also tried various frequencies for the mic. using the Audio Midi app that comes with the OS.

4. TheIguana, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012

TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Could be a few things here, they did replace your logic board so it could be a problem with the new one, it could be that the mic cable didn't get reconnected, or your mic has died. In either case, getting to the mic connector of your Mac is a heck of a lot of work (you have to completely remove the logic board).

If I were you I would go back to the Apple Store and demand they fix it. I know that doesn't sound appealing but they have returned your MBP in a non-functional manner thus they should be made aware that the problem occurred and they should be making this situation right!

5. Athonline thread starter macrumors member

Will go this Monday, I was just hoping to avoid it until after my exams, as a Computing post-grad student, without my laptop I feel like I am going to war without ammunition! I was hoping for a software error, as the mic is clearly found within my System Information!

I will demand a same-day fix.