MacBook Pro 1TB External HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Frankie., Jan 11, 2010.

1. Frankie. macrumors regular

I bought a WD 1TB external hard drive and in OS X it pulls up my external HD fine but when I switch over in Bootcamp to Windows 7 it doesn't see it. I realize that Mac & Windows hard drive formats are different. Is there a way to update/change/modify so I can see my HD in both Operating Systems?

I had the idea to partition the hard drive in half, one side for Mac, one for Windows but that's kind of a pain in the ass when I need some stuff for both systems.

Any ideas?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can format it as NTFS and it will be seen by both systems if you use MacFuse or NTFS-3G on the Mac side.

3. Frankie. thread starter macrumors regular

I will lose everything I have on it right now though, wouldn't I?

4. neenja macrumors 6502

yup. =\

5. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

How much stuff?

You could use DropBox, works great and is cross-platform. I "bridge" several computers this way. Each machine always has a folder containing the latest copy of my work files regardless of which machine I was using at the time of last update, and my files are also securely available on the Dropbox website, where they're versioned so I can revert if I screw something up. That has saved me several times. A 2GB workspace is free, and bigger accounts are inexpensive.

It really is a wonderful thing, and their customer service was amazingly responsive the one time I had a question. Full disclosure: I'll get some free extra space if you sign up for a free or paid account at this link: https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTQ3NzczNjk ...but I'd recommend it even if they didn't offer that referral bonus. It may be a great answer to what you want to do. It's a clever service built on Amazon EC2's cloud infrastructure and has been 100% reliable for me in over a year of use.